Madonna to Adapt Interracial Novel 'Ade: A Love Story' Into Movie
Madonna is returning to directing seat. After making a directorial debut in 2008's comedy "Filth and Wisdom" and then turning the real-life love story of Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII into a movie in 2011's "W.E.", now she is adapting "Ade: A Love Story", a novel that takes on an interracial romance.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Bruce Cohen, who previously produced award-winning flick "Silver Linings Playbook", collaborates with Jessica Leventhal and the book's author, Rebecca Walker, to produce this upcoming big screen adaptation. They are now looking for a screenwriter to help turn the love story into a screenplay.
Rebecca is the daughter of "The Color Purple" author Alice Walker and civil rights lawyer Mel Leventhal. "Ade: A Love Story" is her debut novel. It was published October 2013 and had a promotional quote from Madge who wrote, "An incredible journey! A beautiful LOVE story!"
In the book, Rebecca creates a narrator similar to herself (the mother is Christian and the father is Jewish). It's the story of an American student who falls in love with a Muslim man on an island off the coast of Kenya while she's traveling in Africa. Their relationship is torn by cultural and political forces.
Back in 2012, the Material Girl told MTV she, as director, approached the subject of love with "duality," remembering "there's no such thing as perfect love." She explained, "I certainly can relate to all that. I know the agony and ecstasy of love. I feel like I'm in a very-qualified position to speak of it and make a film about it. Absolutely, for anyone and anything we love [we make sacrifices]. Love equals sacrifice."
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'