Madonna to Adapt Interracial Novel 'Ade: A Love Story' Into Movie
Madonna is returning to directing seat. After making a directorial debut in 2008's comedy "Filth and Wisdom" and then turning the real-life love story of Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII into a movie in 2011's "W.E.", now she is adapting "Ade: A Love Story", a novel that takes on an interracial romance.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Bruce Cohen, who previously produced award-winning flick "Silver Linings Playbook", collaborates with Jessica Leventhal and the book's author, Rebecca Walker, to produce this upcoming big screen adaptation. They are now looking for a screenwriter to help turn the love story into a screenplay.
Rebecca is the daughter of "The Color Purple" author Alice Walker and civil rights lawyer Mel Leventhal. "Ade: A Love Story" is her debut novel. It was published October 2013 and had a promotional quote from Madge who wrote, "An incredible journey! A beautiful LOVE story!"
In the book, Rebecca creates a narrator similar to herself (the mother is Christian and the father is Jewish). It's the story of an American student who falls in love with a Muslim man on an island off the coast of Kenya while she's traveling in Africa. Their relationship is torn by cultural and political forces.
Back in 2012, the Material Girl told MTV she, as director, approached the subject of love with "duality," remembering "there's no such thing as perfect love." She explained, "I certainly can relate to all that. I know the agony and ecstasy of love. I feel like I'm in a very-qualified position to speak of it and make a film about it. Absolutely, for anyone and anything we love [we make sacrifices]. Love equals sacrifice."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!