Patrick Dempsey's Mother Loses Battle With Cancer
Patrick Dempsey is mourning the death of his mother, Amanda Dempsey. The "Grey's Anatomy" star's mother passed away surrounded by her family on Monday, March 24 at a hospital in Maine. She was 79.
"The entire Central Maine Medical family mourns the passing of Amanda Dempsey," said Peter Chalke, president and CEO of Central Maine Healthcare, in a press release. "Amanda Dempsey was both a great lady and a determined fighter who displayed tremendous courage, class and grace during her long battle with cancer. ... We will miss Amanda deeply, but we were all blessed by knowing her and being inspired by her life story."
Amanda was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1997. Her fight with the disease then inspired the actor and his two sisters to found a cancer center called The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston in 2008. The center provides support, education and integrative medicine services to people affected by cancer.
Prior to her death, Amanda led the walk during the Dempsey Challenge which raised $5 million for the cancer center. She also volunteered at the cancer center, sewing pieces for cancer patients and controlling the quality of products which were given to the patients.
More Patrick Dempsey News
- 'Twin Peaks' Debuts Extended Chilling Teaser Featuring Familiar Tune
- 'Alita: Battle Angel' Casts 'Nashville' Actor in Key Role
- Daniel Radcliffe Reveals the Outrageous Advice Donald Trump Gave Him When They First Met
- Is Brad Pitt the Real Reason Selena Gomez Checks Into Rehab?
- Listen to Major Lazer and Showtek's New Collab 'Believer'
- Angelina Jolie Eyed for War Drama 'Shoot Like a Girl'
- 'Archer' Creator Plans Show's Ending After Season 10
- Hugh Hefner Makes Fun of Death Rumors: Tabloids Should've Told Me That I'm Sick