Patrick Dempsey's Mother Loses Battle With Cancer
Patrick Dempsey is mourning the death of his mother, Amanda Dempsey. The "Grey's Anatomy" star's mother passed away surrounded by her family on Monday, March 24 at a hospital in Maine. She was 79.
"The entire Central Maine Medical family mourns the passing of Amanda Dempsey," said Peter Chalke, president and CEO of Central Maine Healthcare, in a press release. "Amanda Dempsey was both a great lady and a determined fighter who displayed tremendous courage, class and grace during her long battle with cancer. ... We will miss Amanda deeply, but we were all blessed by knowing her and being inspired by her life story."
Amanda was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1997. Her fight with the disease then inspired the actor and his two sisters to found a cancer center called The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston in 2008. The center provides support, education and integrative medicine services to people affected by cancer.
Prior to her death, Amanda led the walk during the Dempsey Challenge which raised $5 million for the cancer center. She also volunteered at the cancer center, sewing pieces for cancer patients and controlling the quality of products which were given to the patients.
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Seen for the First Time Since Military Enlistment - See the Pic
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Her Bum in Thong Bikini - See the Racy Pic
- Lily Collins Shares Cute Throwback Pic and Fans Just Can't Handle It
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 12 First Look: Tyra Banks Makes Debut as New Host
- PSY Proves He Hasn't Changed at All as He Shares Funny Childhood Photo
- Mariah Carey Flaunts Ample Cleavage as She Cuddles Up to Bryan Tanaka
- Paris Hilton Gushes Over Romance With Chris Zylka: 'I'm in a Serious Relationship'
- 'The Emoji Movie' Defeats 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' in Social Media Buzz