Patrick Dempsey's Mother Loses Battle With Cancer
Patrick Dempsey is mourning the death of his mother, Amanda Dempsey. The "Grey's Anatomy" star's mother passed away surrounded by her family on Monday, March 24 at a hospital in Maine. She was 79.
"The entire Central Maine Medical family mourns the passing of Amanda Dempsey," said Peter Chalke, president and CEO of Central Maine Healthcare, in a press release. "Amanda Dempsey was both a great lady and a determined fighter who displayed tremendous courage, class and grace during her long battle with cancer. ... We will miss Amanda deeply, but we were all blessed by knowing her and being inspired by her life story."
Amanda was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1997. Her fight with the disease then inspired the actor and his two sisters to found a cancer center called The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston in 2008. The center provides support, education and integrative medicine services to people affected by cancer.
Prior to her death, Amanda led the walk during the Dempsey Challenge which raised $5 million for the cancer center. She also volunteered at the cancer center, sewing pieces for cancer patients and controlling the quality of products which were given to the patients.
More Patrick Dempsey News
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Haven't Put a Label on Relationship Even After Caught Kissing
- Naya Rivera Reveals She Got Pregnant and Had an Abortion When She Was on 'Glee'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: A Man Gets His Heart Broken and Leaves
- Stan Lee Supports Zendaya to Portray Mary Jane in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston Bring Thor and Loki to Children Hospital in Australia
- Kendall Jenner Flaunts Her Booty in Unpublished Vogue Pic
- 'Pretty Little Liars' 7.10 Preview: The Kidnapper Gets Attacked
- Iggy Azalea Hits Recording Studio With Verse Simmonds