Gwar Lead Singer David Brockie Found Dead at His Home
Singer David Brockie, who founded the heavy metal band Gwar, was found dead at his home in Richmond, Va. on Sunday, March 23. Police did not suspect foul play on immediate investigation but an autopsy will determine the cause of death.
"At approximately 6:53 p.m. on Sunday, Richmond Police were called to a residence in the 4800 block of West Seminary Avenue for a report of a deceased individual," a police spokesperson told Fox411 in a statement. "When officers arrived, they found David M. Brockie, 50, deceased inside the home." The spokesperson added, "Detectives do not suspect foul play at this time."
Known for his stage name Oderus Urungus, Brockie reportedly died sitting up right in a chair when he was found by a band member. No drugs were found inside the home, law enforcement sources told TMZ. "My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and (Brockie's) family," band manager Jack Flanagan said in a statement.
Many have paid their respect for Brockie. "Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've ever known," former Gwar bassist Mike Bishop told Style Weekly. "He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art."
Lamb of God frontman Randy Blythe wrote on Instagram, "My friend Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus, the singer of GWAR, has left the building & taken off back to his home planet. Dave TRULY WAS ONE OF A KIND - I can't think of ANYONE even remotely like him...My band learned how to become a real touring band from GWAR - they gave us our first shot at this thing."
Found in 1984, Gwar had lost lead guitarist 34-year-old Cory Smoot in December 2011. He died of heart attack on the band's tour bus during a Canadian tour
- Ben Affleck Says Taylor Swift Was Like 'God' When His Kids Met Her
- Kendall Jenner Unveils New Lip Tattoo
- 'The Purge' Heading to TV as 'Interwoven Anthology'
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage