Ricky Gervais Plans New Mockumentary Focusing on David Brent
Ricky Gervais isn't done with "The Office" yet. The original U.K. version only lasted for 2 seasons and the U.S. version already ended its 9-season run last year, but the British funnyman wants to bring back his character David Brent to the small screen with a new project.
Gervais has revealed his plan to develop a mockumentary about David Brent, a character on the BBC series who also recurred on the NBC sitcom. He explained that the behind-the-scenes documentary spoof would revolve around Brent on a tour.
"It's just an idea. I want to do a tour, a little tour and people think they're seeing a tour," he told RadioTimes. "I film it, but actually it's Brent who thinks he's making a Scorsese-type thing of 'On the Road'."
He went on sharing, "Of course, behind the scenes, it is so much sadder and more poignant. It's Spinal Tap meets sad Scorsese meets Anvil. It's more of the breakdown of this man who thought he was going to be something else."
The 52-year-old actor, who has a role in "Muppets Most Wanted", explained why he didn't pitch the project about Brent earlier. "The reason I didn't bring Brent back before is that I wanted to do lots of other things first, but secretly I do want to do something else," he claimed. "It has to be right, it has to be justified. It can't be an unwanted encore. It can't even be an unwanted encore, because people don't know what they want."
Gervais has performed on live gigs as Brent in London last October. He and Foregone Conclusion will embark on a tour beginning in May.
More Ricky Gervais News
- Twitter Users Are Begging Marvel to Give Captain America a Boyfriend
- Amy Schumer Blasts Body Shaming 'Trolls': 'I Think I Look Strong and Healthy'
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary