Ricky Gervais Plans New Mockumentary Focusing on David Brent
Ricky Gervais isn't done with "The Office" yet. The original U.K. version only lasted for 2 seasons and the U.S. version already ended its 9-season run last year, but the British funnyman wants to bring back his character David Brent to the small screen with a new project.
Gervais has revealed his plan to develop a mockumentary about David Brent, a character on the BBC series who also recurred on the NBC sitcom. He explained that the behind-the-scenes documentary spoof would revolve around Brent on a tour.
"It's just an idea. I want to do a tour, a little tour and people think they're seeing a tour," he told RadioTimes. "I film it, but actually it's Brent who thinks he's making a Scorsese-type thing of 'On the Road'."
He went on sharing, "Of course, behind the scenes, it is so much sadder and more poignant. It's Spinal Tap meets sad Scorsese meets Anvil. It's more of the breakdown of this man who thought he was going to be something else."
The 52-year-old actor, who has a role in "Muppets Most Wanted", explained why he didn't pitch the project about Brent earlier. "The reason I didn't bring Brent back before is that I wanted to do lots of other things first, but secretly I do want to do something else," he claimed. "It has to be right, it has to be justified. It can't be an unwanted encore. It can't even be an unwanted encore, because people don't know what they want."
Gervais has performed on live gigs as Brent in London last October. He and Foregone Conclusion will embark on a tour beginning in May.
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle
- Pregnant Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Covers Baby Bump in Trench Coat on Lunch Date With Jason Statham
- Fergie Shows Off Pert Derriere in Cheeky Instagram Picture
- George Clooney Finally Opens Up About Amal's Pregnancy
- Adele Named Top Music Legend of the Future
- Taron Egerton Is Seen Filming 'Robin Hood: Origins' in Croatia
- Possible 'Jurassic World 2' Plot Details Revealed
- 'Sherlock' Could Get Axed, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman's Busy Schedules Are to Blame