Artist of the Week: The Pretty Reckless
Frontwoman Taylor Momsen admitted to having difficulties when she started working on The Pretty Reckless' new album "Going to Hell". "When we started writing for this record, we had been touring 'Light Me Up' for two-and-a-half years," she explained in a new interview with ARTISTdirect.com.
"We got off the road. We were all tired. I personally can't write on the road," she continued. "You're on a bus with ten people and you never have enough time to think inside tour own head. You're in touring world. It's another side of things."
However, the former "Gossip Girl" actress and fellow founding member of the band, Ben Phillips, managed to find a way to finally begin writing new songs for the new record. She told the site that everything went quite smooth afterwards. "As the songs came, common themes started to develop. It wasn't intentional, but they naturally do as a writer," she said and added that she's happy with the project.
Momsen went on talking about the songs in the album. She said each track's personal as she wrote it from her perspective, but they're still open for interpretation by listeners. "I don't like to explain songs because I want the listeners to hear them with open ears and an open mind. Whatever it means to you as a listener, that's what the song is about," she shared.
"Going to Hell", marking The Pretty Reckless' second studio effort, debuted at No. 8 on Billboard 200 following its release earlier this month. It has so far spawned three singles, including its title track and "Heaven Knows". The latter track recently topped some rock charts in the U.S. Its music video, which arrived last month, was co-directed by Jon J and Momsen.
"We shot that video over the course of two days in Miami. It's pretty self-explanatory. I was trying to create a visual to go along with the song that has meaning. There's a lot of metaphor in the video. It's all right there," she said and revealed that she was sick when filming the video, which also gives a brief look at her getting fully naked.
She added that she lost her voice after the filming and subsequently canceled a tour. "I've never lost my voice to the point where I couldn't sing or talk. It sucked, but I'm proud of the video," she said.
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!