'Vampire Diaries' Stars and Showrunner Address Elena's Future With Damon and Stefan
"The Vampire Diaries" cast, including Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley, and executive producers Julie Plec and Caroline Dries attended the PaleyFest panel on Saturday, March 22. They discussed what's next in the current season 5 of the show, including the long withstanding love triangle between Elena and the Salvatore brothers.
In the latest episode, Damon and Elena thought they shouldn't be together as they called their relationship "toxic," but ended up in bed together. "They recognize the elements of the codependency in their relationship," Plec said of the couple's current relationship status. "They need to have legit, adult conversations about it. And if they end up in sex ..."
Somerhalder chimed in, "When you have grown-up conversations, you have to put your big boy pants and big girl pants on and have the conversation. But they keep taking their pants off, and that's what gets in the way of the grown up conversations."
Still, there's hope that Elena reunites with Stefan. Addressing the doppelganger prophecy that says Elena and Stefan are destined to be together, Plec said, "We dig deep into this idea of the universe drawing them together. It leads Elena and Stefan to a lot of conversations to their love story and free will."
Dobrev, meanwhile, offered another possibility, jokingly saying, "After all the things these boys have done to her, she's going to be a lesbian."
At the event, Dries also confirmed that Katherine's really dead. She, however, would say "never say never" to the possibility of her return. More characters, particularly the new ones, would see the same fate as Plec told fans, "Most new characters are created to die."
Talking about the spin-off "The Originals", Claire Holt who recently departed the series said that her exit wasn't permanent. "As far as I'm concerned, this is a temporary hiatus," she teased, adding, "I'm taking a little vacation in the sun, but I'm going to return to my New Orleans family."
As for whether or not Caroline would join "The Originals" and reunite with Klaus, Plec hinted that it might not happen in the foreseeable future. "Caroline Forbes is such a crucial element ... on The Vampire Diaries and taking her off that show would be very damaging to the show," she reasoned. Somerhalder also insisted that Caroline's staying on "TVD", stating, "We have Caroline. She's ours. Caroline's staying with us!"
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'