'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Locked for Two More Seasons
"Game of Thrones" may have unofficially secured a renewal for at least two more seasons. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have signed a new deal that will keep them on the lead of the day-to-day operation on the HBO series through a presumed season six.
Entertainment Weekly is the first to break the news. HBO programming president Michael Lombardo previously told the site about the writer duo, "I've read a lot of scripts. David and Dan are not just good, they are exceptional writers. Their scripts are as dazzling as anything I've ever read."
Benioff recently talked about the possibility of ending the hit series with a seventh season. "It feels like this is the midpoint for us," he said. "If we're going to go seven seasons, which is the plan, season 4 is right down the middle, the pivot point."
He continued, "I would say it's the goal we've had from the beginning. It was our unstated goal, because to start on a show and say your goal is seven seasons is the height of lunacy. Once we got to the point where we felt like we're going to be able to tell this tale to its conclusion, that became [an even clearer] goal. Seven gods, seven kingdoms, seven seasons. It feels right to us."
The show will return with a fourth season Sunday, April 6 at 9:00 P.M. on HBO. An advanced screening of the season opener was recently held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Fans who got a chance to watch the first episode earlier at the March 20 event didn't have to sign a nondisclosure agreement, but they took an oath of secrecy. Cast member Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Sibel Kekilli (Shae) and Kristian Nairn made a surprise appearance.
More Game of Thrones News
- Are They Splitting Up? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Have 'Explosive' Fights
- 'Fate of the Furious' Stays Atop Box Office for Third Consecutive Weekend, Passes $1B Worlwide
- 'Last Ship' Halts Production as Eric Dane Battles Depression
- Little Mix, Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars Among Winners at Radio Disney Music Awards 2017
- Radio Disney Music Awards 2017: Noah Cyrus, Camila Cabello and Sabrina Carpenter Stun on Red Carpet
- Control Freak Angelina Jolie 'Keeps Tabs' on Brad Pitt: She Has Google Alert on His Name
- Kelly Ripa Will Announce New 'Live!' Co-Host on Monday
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Speculations After Seen Shopping Together in NYC