Johnny Cash's Great-Niece Stabbed to Death
A woman named Courtney Cash, the grand-niece of late singer Johnny Cash, was found dead on Wednesday, March 19. As reported by The Associated Press, Putnam County Sheriff David Andrews said that Cash's body was found in a box in a house near Cookeville, Tenn. She lived in the house with her boyfriend William Austin Johnson, who is treated for stab wounds in a hospital.
Andrews told media that the couple went out with a friend called Wayne Gary Masciarella before an altercation broke in the house. Johnson ran with his young child and drove to hospital. Officials said that the incident was likely related to drugs. "This is a senseless, tragic death of a young lady whose life was probably taken as a direct or indirect result of drugs," Andrews told media.
Masciarella was charged with first-degree murder and is held without bail. He is scheduled to appear in court on April 21.
Cash's grandfather Tommy Cash, the brother of the "I Walk the Line" singer, has released a statement following the sad news. "We ask for your prayers for the Cash family at this time. Courtney and her boyfriend are beloved members of my family and like you we have a lot of questions and emotions that we are beginning to sort through today... We are completely heartbroken. It is a time like this that we are grateful for our faith and trusting the loving guidance of God," he said.
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen