M.I.A. Asks Madonna for Financial Help After NFL Steps Up Lawsuit
National Football League has gone from suing M.I.A. for $1.5 million to $16.6 million. The British rapper made fun of the lawsuit by asking Madonna for financial help. "ummm ..... can i borrow 16 million?" she tweeted to Madonna.
NFL sued M.I.A. for flipping the bird during her performance at the 2012 Super Bowl halftime show. In the documents filed in March 2012, the league claimed the act breached her performance contract and harmed the NFL's reputation. They also complained that it was not a spontaneous expression but rather a "blatant, intentional and calculated attempt by M.I.A....to garner worldwide publicity and attention for herself."
On Friday, March 14, NFL stepped up their legal action by demanding $15.1 million in "restitution" on top of the $1.5 million they were already chasing. The additional money will cover "the alleged value of public exposure she received by appearing for an approximately two minute segment during Madonna's performance. The figure is based on what advertisers would have paid for ads during this time."
M.I.A. has responded to the lawsuit, saying, "The claim for restitution lacks any basis in law, fact, or logic." Her spokesperson added in the response papers that the "continued pursuit of this proceeding is transparently an exercise by the NFL intended solely to bully and make an example of Respondents for daring to challenge NFL".
She argued that other halftime performances in the past had displayed offensive gestures. She stated in the papers that Michael Jackson "repeatedly grabbed or fondled his genitalia especially while he sang 'Billie Jean' " at 1993 Super Bowl. Prince also caressed the neck of his guitar "as if stroking an erect oversized phallus."
M.I.A. is yet to get a response from Madonna.
More M.I.A. News
- Watch Juicy J and Kanye West in 'Ballin' Video
- Tina Fey Suggested Alec Baldwin to Play Donald Trump on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Watch Ben Affleck and Matt Damon Hilariously Argue Over Who's Closer to Tom Brady
- Daisy Ridley, Judi Dench and More A-Listers Join Johnny Depp in 'Murder on the Orient Express'
- Confirmed! Lady GaGa Is Headlining 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Oops! Cher Accidentally Retweets a Dick Pic
- No More Bad Blood! Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris Are Texting Again
- Rob Kardashian Crushing on His Own Sister Kim When He Was Young