'Star Wars Episode 7' to Film in May in London, to Take Place 30 Years After 'Return of Jedi'
Disney finally gave official update on the much-awaited "Star Wars Episode 7". The movie is confirmed to start shooting this coming May in London. It will take place 30 years after the events of 1983's "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi".
J.J. Abrams will do the filming at the historic Pinewood Studios. The details of the story are still scarce, but the Mouse House says that the next installment of the epic sci-fi saga "will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces."
Two months into the filming, the project is still shrouded with secrecy as no single castmember is announced. "Rumor has it that almost every actor in the world has been cast in this movie, but so far, the official castmember that we've confirmed -- the only one -- is R2D2," said Disney's CEO Bob Iger during an annual shareholder meeting in Portland, Ore.
R2-D2 is an astromech droid which appeared in all six "Star Wars" films along with his protocol robot companion, C-3PO. R2-D2 inducted into Robot Hall of Fame in 2003 was portrayed by Kenny Baker in the previous movies, while his robot buddy was played by Anthony Daniels.
Regarding the human cast, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher are expected to reprise their roles as the classic "Star Wars" trio, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia. Lupita Nyong'o is said being in talks for a major female role. Her character which allegedly "doesn't seem to be tied into the family lines from Episodes 4-6" is supposedly a Sith.
Judi Dench is linked for the role of Mon Mothma, the co-founder and leader of the Rebel Alliance, while Adam Driver is hotly tipped to play a new Darth Vader-esque villain. The rumored candidates for the new male lead, meanwhile, are Ed Speleers ("Downton Abbey"), John Boyega ("Attack the Block"), Jesse Plemons ("Breaking Bad"), and two theater actors Matthew James Thomas as well as Ray Fisher.
The film will hit U.S. theaters on December 18, 2015.
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'