Chris Brown to Stay in Jail Until April for Violating Rehab Rules
Chris Brown will stay in jail until late April without the possibility of being bailed out, a judge has ruled on Monday, March 17. The singer was arrested on Friday for violating his rehab rules and getting kicked out of the treatment facility.
The case was stemming from the 2009 attack that Brown committed against then-girlfriend Rihanna. He was sentenced to probation after the incident but he was involved in a fight in Washington D.C. late last year and told to stay for three months as inpatient rehab. His rehab stay was extended on February 28 after the judge received the report that he was only recently making progress.
The Washington D.C. case will go to trial on April 17 and Brown will get a hearing on April 23. Superior Court Judge James R. Brandlin wanted Brown to stay behind bars until then. The judge was troubled by comments that Brown made during his rehab stay in which the singer allegedly said he was good at using guns and knives.
Brown also committed three violations in rehab: making harsh comments during a group session, initially declining to take a random drug test upon returning from an authorized outing (which he later tested negative), and touching the hands and elbows of a woman at the rehab. The singer was ordered to stay at least 2 feet from women at the facility.
Upon hearing the sentence, Brown's mom Joyce Hawkins burst into tears and was being comforted by Brown's attorney Mark Geragos. The attorney had initially argued that Brown should be housed in an off-site facility, not jail.
More Chris Brown News
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce