Chris Brown to Stay in Jail Until April for Violating Rehab Rules
Chris Brown will stay in jail until late April without the possibility of being bailed out, a judge has ruled on Monday, March 17. The singer was arrested on Friday for violating his rehab rules and getting kicked out of the treatment facility.
The case was stemming from the 2009 attack that Brown committed against then-girlfriend Rihanna. He was sentenced to probation after the incident but he was involved in a fight in Washington D.C. late last year and told to stay for three months as inpatient rehab. His rehab stay was extended on February 28 after the judge received the report that he was only recently making progress.
The Washington D.C. case will go to trial on April 17 and Brown will get a hearing on April 23. Superior Court Judge James R. Brandlin wanted Brown to stay behind bars until then. The judge was troubled by comments that Brown made during his rehab stay in which the singer allegedly said he was good at using guns and knives.
Brown also committed three violations in rehab: making harsh comments during a group session, initially declining to take a random drug test upon returning from an authorized outing (which he later tested negative), and touching the hands and elbows of a woman at the rehab. The singer was ordered to stay at least 2 feet from women at the facility.
Upon hearing the sentence, Brown's mom Joyce Hawkins burst into tears and was being comforted by Brown's attorney Mark Geragos. The attorney had initially argued that Brown should be housed in an off-site facility, not jail.
More Chris Brown News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones