Comedian David Brenner Dies at 78, Stars Pay Tribute
Many celebrities took to Twitter to mourn the death of comedian David Brenner, who is popular for his appearances on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show". Brenner's family said that he passed away on Saturday, March 15.
Joan Rivers and Bob Saget are among those who paid tribute to the late comedian on social media. "RIP David Brenner. I adored him, and laughed more with him than anybody. Sad, sad, sad. Knowing David, he's now making the devil laugh," Rivers wrote. Calling Brenner "a kind influence in my life," Saget added that the late star was "a true stand-up and a good man."
Whoopi Goldberg also took part in the pouring tribute. "My friend David Brenner passed [today]. He was a great comic & a great guy [he's] in the great comedy club in the sky.R.I.P Condolences [to] his family," she said in a Twitter post.
"David Brenner was a huge star when I met him and he took me under his wing. To me, historically, he was the godfather of hip, observational comedy. He mentored me from day one. ... His passing leaves a hole in my life that can never be replaced," Richard Lewis said in a statement to USA Today.
Brenner passed away at the age of 78 after a battle with cancer. "Brenner died peacefully at his home in NYC surrounded by his family at his side," his longtime publicist Jeff Abraham said in a statement. As reported by CNN, Abraham said that Brenner's gravesite would read, "If this is supposed to be a joke - then I don't get it!" The late star also asked his family to put $100 in small bills in his sock, "just in case tipping is recommended where I'm going."
Born on February 4, 1936, Brenner appeared in 158 episodes of the late night show in addition to other TV shows. He is survived by his wife, Ruth, his three sons, Cole, Wyatt, Slade and his grandson, Wesley.
- Jealous Kim Kardashian Planning to Outshine Beyonce by Getting Pregnant Again
- Watch Lady GaGa's Emotional Tribute to Cancer-Stricken Friend During Coachella Performance
- Rob Kardashian's Not Ready to Give Up on His 'Unhealthy' Relationship With Blac Chyna
- New Photo of 'Once Upon a Time' Musical Episode Gives First Look at the Groom
- Mel B's Ex Stephen Belafonte Begs Her for Money
- Lucasfilm to Develop More 'Star Wars' Spin-Offs Soon
- Frank Ocean Releases Another New Catchy Song 'Lens'
- Kylie Jenner Forced to Leave Las Vegas Event by Anti-Fur Protestors