Jimi Hendrix Postage Stamp Released
The United States Postal Service has released a new stamp featuring Jimi Hendrix. The new stamp shows the late guitarist playing the instrument with colorful stripes as the background. According to press release, the new Forever stamp is on sale starting from Thursday, March 13.
"Combining influences from rock, modern jazz, soul and the blues with his own innovations, Jimi Hendrix helped found three new genres of music - heavy metal, jazz fusion and funk - and in doing so, left behind an indelible mark on pop music and popular culture generally," Joseph Corbett, chief financial officer and executive vice president, U.S. Postal Service, said of the stamp in a statement.
Hendrix's sister Janie additionally said that she and the late musician's family were touched by the honor. "I am deeply touched and so are other members of the Hendrix family by the issuance of this stamp, and I wish to thank the United States Postal Service for bestowing one of our nation's highest honors on my brother Jimi," she stated, adding that Hendrix's musical "recognition implicit in his being portrayed on a U.S. postage stamp ranks as an unparalleled honor."
The stamp dedication was held prior to a Jimi Hendrix Celebration concert at the SXSW Outdoor Stage at Butler Park. Musicians who took part in the show included The Doors' Robby Krieger, Slash, Paul McCartney's touring guitarist Rusty Anderson, Dave and Phil Alvin of The Blasters, Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction and MC5's guitarist Wayne Kramer.
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch
- Paris Hilton Likes a Shady Meme to Remind Kanye West She Made Kim Kardashian Famous
- Dwayne Johnson Shares New Picture From 'Fast and Furious 8' Set
- Calvin Harris Also Moves On - The DJ Is Surrounded by Sexy Ladies on a Yacht
- Video: Prince Harry Joins Coldplay Onstage During Kensington Palace Concert
- Kim Kardashian Caught Wearing Butt Pads at Khloe's Birthday Party
- Check Out Peter Parker in Spidey Suit on 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set