Drake, The 1975 Among Winners at mtvU Woodie Awards
Drake was among winners of mtvU's annual Woodie Awards which took place at SXSW Music Festival on Thursday, March 13. The Toronto rapper took home that night's biggest award, Woodie of the Year, which is handed to "the artist that completely owned the past 12 months."
Last year, Drake released his third studio album "Nothing Was the Same". It peaked at No. 1 on Billboard 200 chart. He later embarked on his "Would You Like a Tour?" world tour, which is currently stopping in Europe.
The 1975 nabbed the Breaking Woodie awards, which honors new artists. Fellow U.K. act Ed Sheeran won the Performing Woodie award that is given to artists who "reimagined their stages to create live experiences that resonated beyond venue walls."
Other winners include Beyonce Knowles (Did It My Way Woodie for her surprise album), Chance the Rapper (Best Video Woodie for "Everybody's Something" clip and A$AP Rocky ( Best Collaboration Woodie for his collaboration with Skrillex "Wild for the Night").
The event also featured performances from Lil Wayne, Iggy Azalea, The 1975 and Childish Gambino. Wayne kicked off the show with a surprise performance of "A Milli". Later that night, Iggy appeared onstage in a yellow hot pants and a sheer black dress. She also teamed up with British singer Charli XCX to perform their collaboration, "Fancy". The Woodie Awards will air on MTV on Sunday, March 17 at 8 P.M. EDT.
More Drake News
- Kanye West Leaves L.A. in the Middle of the Night Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber