Drake, The 1975 Among Winners at mtvU Woodie Awards
Drake was among winners of mtvU's annual Woodie Awards which took place at SXSW Music Festival on Thursday, March 13. The Toronto rapper took home that night's biggest award, Woodie of the Year, which is handed to "the artist that completely owned the past 12 months."
Last year, Drake released his third studio album "Nothing Was the Same". It peaked at No. 1 on Billboard 200 chart. He later embarked on his "Would You Like a Tour?" world tour, which is currently stopping in Europe.
The 1975 nabbed the Breaking Woodie awards, which honors new artists. Fellow U.K. act Ed Sheeran won the Performing Woodie award that is given to artists who "reimagined their stages to create live experiences that resonated beyond venue walls."
Other winners include Beyonce Knowles (Did It My Way Woodie for her surprise album), Chance the Rapper (Best Video Woodie for "Everybody's Something" clip and A$AP Rocky ( Best Collaboration Woodie for his collaboration with Skrillex "Wild for the Night").
The event also featured performances from Lil Wayne, Iggy Azalea, The 1975 and Childish Gambino. Wayne kicked off the show with a surprise performance of "A Milli". Later that night, Iggy appeared onstage in a yellow hot pants and a sheer black dress. She also teamed up with British singer Charli XCX to perform their collaboration, "Fancy". The Woodie Awards will air on MTV on Sunday, March 17 at 8 P.M. EDT.
More Drake News
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says