Two People Are Dead After Car Crashed Into Crowd at SXSW
Two people were pronounced dead on scene after a car crashed into crowd during the South By Southwest festival in Austin, Texas at the early hour on Thursday, March 13. Officials report that 23 people are injured in the accident, while five of them are in critical condition.
The accident took place outside the Mohawk on Red River St. in Austin at around 12:30 A.M. local time. As reported by KVUE News, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said in a press conference that the accident "started as a DWI stop on the I-35 access road. The suspect fled the wrong way down a one-way street (9th street) and turned onto Red River."
The person who drove the car hit a moped, a taxi and a van before fleeing on foot and being tased by the police. The driver was taken into custody. The two people who were killed in the accident reportedly were on the moped.
Photographer Colin Kerrigan was on the scene when the accident took place. "One moment I'm photographing a magical show the next, I'm photographing a horrible and sad scene," he said in a Twitter post.
In other news related to SXSW festival, Kanye West and Jay-Z wowed the crowd at the music festival. As reported by the Associated Press, fans lined up several hundred yards, hoping to get into the show. West emerged onstage wearing his leather kilt while Jay-Z was in a black American flag t-shirt. The duo performed hits from "Watch the Throne" as well as pieces from their own catalogs.
Red River between 9th and 10th now pic.twitter.com/Gvt8m8N0ow— SPIN (@SPINmagazine) March 13, 2014
More Kanye West News
- DJ Khaled and Fiancee Nicole Tuck Welcome Baby Boy
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Solange Knowles Set to Make 'SNL' Debut
- Britney Spears Almost Flashes Her Breasts During On-Stage Wardrobe Malfunction
- 'Jessica Jones' Season 2 Will Be Directed Entirely by Women
- Taylor Swift Sings Calvin Harris' Song During Her Return to Stage at Formula 1 Concert
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'