Two People Are Dead After Car Crashed Into Crowd at SXSW
Two people were pronounced dead on scene after a car crashed into crowd during the South By Southwest festival in Austin, Texas at the early hour on Thursday, March 13. Officials report that 23 people are injured in the accident, while five of them are in critical condition.
The accident took place outside the Mohawk on Red River St. in Austin at around 12:30 A.M. local time. As reported by KVUE News, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said in a press conference that the accident "started as a DWI stop on the I-35 access road. The suspect fled the wrong way down a one-way street (9th street) and turned onto Red River."
The person who drove the car hit a moped, a taxi and a van before fleeing on foot and being tased by the police. The driver was taken into custody. The two people who were killed in the accident reportedly were on the moped.
Photographer Colin Kerrigan was on the scene when the accident took place. "One moment I'm photographing a magical show the next, I'm photographing a horrible and sad scene," he said in a Twitter post.
In other news related to SXSW festival, Kanye West and Jay-Z wowed the crowd at the music festival. As reported by the Associated Press, fans lined up several hundred yards, hoping to get into the show. West emerged onstage wearing his leather kilt while Jay-Z was in a black American flag t-shirt. The duo performed hits from "Watch the Throne" as well as pieces from their own catalogs.
Red River between 9th and 10th now pic.twitter.com/Gvt8m8N0ow— SPIN (@SPINmagazine) March 13, 2014
More Kanye West News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy