'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley Calls 'Twilight' Toxic and Unhealthy
It's revealed that Shailene Woodley is not impressed by the love story between Bella and Edward portrayed by Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson in "Twilight Saga" series, as more excerpt of her interview with Teen Vogue lands online before the new issue hits newsstand next month. She doesn't think the story and the movie versions send the right message to young people.
" 'Twilight', I'm sorry, is about a very unhealthy, toxic relationship," the pixie-haired star says. "She falls in love with this guy and the second he leaves her, her life is over and she's going to kill herself! What message are we sending to young people? That is not going to help this world evolve."
Woodley herself is very picky when it comes to choosing the right role. The 22-year-old movie beauty got praised and rose to stardom for her role in her 2011 big-screen debut "The Descendants" in which she shared screen with George Clooney, but she refused to milk her fame.
"After The Descendants, everybody was like, 'You've got to ride the wave!' And I was like, 'You ride the wave and it eventually crashes on the shore. That doesn't work out! I'm going to just sit here and paddleboard.' I didn't do a movie for two years because I didn't read anything that was inspiring to me," she explains.
Even though Woodley was initially reluctant to do "Divergent" and accepted it after Jennifer Lawrence convinced her, she made sure to read the young adult book too and and felt instantly hooked after finishing the story written by Veronica Roth.
"Doing an action movie is completely different from one based in reality. It's much harder to act with a green screen than with another human being," she says. "There are so many special effects in this film, so it was really amazing to see how they turned out."
Despite her role in the big franchise which will kick off with the first movie on March 21, the "White Bird in a Blizzard" star still has soft spot with indie movies and would like to do more in the future.
More Twilight News
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!