First Authorized Jimi Hendrix Biopic in the Works by His Estate
An official Jimi Hendrix biopic is in the horizon, Deadline reports. The movie is developed by his estate in conjunction with ICM Partners. It will be the first authorized film that focuses on the late rocker since previous attempts to tell his story on the big screen never came to fruition.
A project once pitched in by Legendary Pictures fell apart, despite having a directing commitment from Oscar-nominated Paul Greengrass and a script written by Max Borenstein, due to disapproval from Experience Hendrix LLC. Anthony Mackie was initially poised to star in it.
The Hendrix estate's lack of approval didn't deter John Ridley though. The "12 Years a Slave" scribe went on to direct "All Is by My Side" with OutKast's Andre Benjamin or Andre 3000 as the music icon. It didn't include any of Hendrix's signature tunes and instead focused on his early years as an aspiring musician trying to make it on the streets and in the clubs of London, England. The film is on the line-up of this year's SXSW.
Now, the authorized project will feature Hendrix's songs like "Foxey Lady", "The Wind Cries Mary", "Purple Haze", "Voodoo Chile", and "Crosstown Traffic". His sister, Janie Hendrix, who's handling the annual all-star Experience Hendrix tribute tour, will be involved in the production.
"We're delighted to be associated with ICM Partners on this project that's been a long time coming," she said. "Our concern has always been that any biography of Jimi that employs his music be held to the very highest standard of cinematic excellence. His musical legacy deserves no less."
"Our partners at ICM are ideal insofar as they completely understand that the use of his music in such a film is a monumental responsibility that will resonate through generations to come as Jimi's artistry has since the 1960s."
- Selena Gomez Has Lunch Date With The Weeknd After Celebrating Birthday Without Him
- Newlyweds Kate Mara and Jamie Bell Flaunt Wedding Rings in Cute Pic
- 'Game of Thrones' 7.03 Preview: Jon Snow Meets Daenerys
- Jay-Z Spends Second Week Atop Billboard 200 With '4:44', French Montana Debuts at No. 3
- Box Office: 'Dunkirk' and 'Girls Trip' Exceed Expectations, 'Valerian' Bombs
- Kylie Jenner's Snapchat Is Hacked, Culprit Threatens to Expose Nude Photos of 'KUWTK' Star
- Frank Ocean Brings Out Brad Pitt During Captivating Performance at FYF Festival
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park