Beyonce, Jennifer Garner Support 'Ban Bossy' Campaign
Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Garner, Jane Lynch and other public figures have joined a campaign to stop using the word "bossy." The ad, which was released on Sunday, March 9, features public figures such as Diane Von Furstenberg, Condoleezza Rice and Nascar champ Jimmie Johnson. The ad points out that less girls want to take leadership role in middle school because they are afraid of being labeled bossy.
"Being labeled something matters," Garner says in the video. "Girls are less interested in leadership than boys," Beyonce adds. "And that's because they worry about being called bossy," Lynch continues. "Be brave, be you," the "Drunk in Love" singer states. "I'm not bossy, I'm the boss."
"Ban Bossy" is a public service campaign from Facebook COO and the author of "Lean In" Sheryl Sandberg's organization Lean In, Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chavez and Rice to encourage young female leaders. During a recent interview, Sandberg recalled that she was called bossy while at school. "I was called bossy when I was in ninth grade. My teacher took my best friend Mindy aside and she said, 'You shouldn't be friends with Sheryl. She's bossy.' And that hurt," she shared.
"Leadership is not bullying and leadership is not aggression," Sandberg added, as quoted by ABC News. "Leadership is the expectation that you can use your voice for good. That you can make the world a better place."
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger