Beyonce, Jennifer Garner Support 'Ban Bossy' Campaign
Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Garner, Jane Lynch and other public figures have joined a campaign to stop using the word "bossy." The ad, which was released on Sunday, March 9, features public figures such as Diane Von Furstenberg, Condoleezza Rice and Nascar champ Jimmie Johnson. The ad points out that less girls want to take leadership role in middle school because they are afraid of being labeled bossy.
"Being labeled something matters," Garner says in the video. "Girls are less interested in leadership than boys," Beyonce adds. "And that's because they worry about being called bossy," Lynch continues. "Be brave, be you," the "Drunk in Love" singer states. "I'm not bossy, I'm the boss."
"Ban Bossy" is a public service campaign from Facebook COO and the author of "Lean In" Sheryl Sandberg's organization Lean In, Girl Scouts USA CEO Anna Maria Chavez and Rice to encourage young female leaders. During a recent interview, Sandberg recalled that she was called bossy while at school. "I was called bossy when I was in ninth grade. My teacher took my best friend Mindy aside and she said, 'You shouldn't be friends with Sheryl. She's bossy.' And that hurt," she shared.
"Leadership is not bullying and leadership is not aggression," Sandberg added, as quoted by ABC News. "Leadership is the expectation that you can use your voice for good. That you can make the world a better place."
More Beyonce Knowles News
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7