Artist of the Week: Aloe Blacc
Despite not being credited for his collaboration with Avicii, "Wake Me Up", Aloe Blacc is currently enjoying the success of his own single called "The Man". The track, which was released as a single earlier this year, has so far peaked at No. 13 on Billboard 100.
The song originally appeared in "Wake Me Up", his EP which was dropped last year. The music video for the track arrived earlier this month and it captures the social discourse of the early '70s. "This music video is an amalgamation of historic images that remind me of moments in time where there was struggle and triumph," he recently described the clip.
The successful track has also made it into "Lift Your Spirit", Blacc's upcoming third studio album that's scheduled to be released in the U.S. on March 11. It will mark his first album to be released via XIX Recordings/Interscope Records.
Of how he feels to drop a record under a major label, he recently told Billboard, "It feels like a whole new existence. Before, as an indie artist, I would just make songs in my bedroom. I have hundreds of songs sitting in my hard drive that will never see the light of day. But now, I can think of an idea and know that it will reach people in a few months. It's a great confirmation."
In the interview with the music site, Blacc also revealed what fans could expect from his new LP. "What I want to do with music is make people happy," Blacc said. "So every song, save for maybe one, is about something that could potentially lift your spirit."
"I did a song with Pharrell Williams called 'Love Is the Answer.' I did a song with Rock Mafia called 'Ticking Bomb,' which is not necessarily a lifting-your-spirit theme, but I also like to make songs that are socially and politically aware. That was a song I wrote about the conflict in Congo, which is a resources conflict that's affecting a lot of people in that environment," he added.
- Adele Doesn't Care About Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Split, She Clarifies
- Video: Justin Bieber Gets Into a Fight in German Bar
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Share First Photo of Baby Dusty Rose
- Ryan Murphy Admits to 'Infighting' on 'Glee' Set and Cast Member Hookups
- Mariah Carey Wears No Underwear in Sheer White Dress During Romantic Getaway With Fiance
- Exes Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Trapped in Elevator for Four Hours. Was It Awkward?
- Mom Material? Katy Perry Bonds With Orlando Bloom's Son Flynn at Shanghai Disneyland
- Listen to 'Trolls' Soundtrack Featuring Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani and Ariana Grande