Artist of the Week: Aloe Blacc
Despite not being credited for his collaboration with Avicii, "Wake Me Up", Aloe Blacc is currently enjoying the success of his own single called "The Man". The track, which was released as a single earlier this year, has so far peaked at No. 13 on Billboard 100.
The song originally appeared in "Wake Me Up", his EP which was dropped last year. The music video for the track arrived earlier this month and it captures the social discourse of the early '70s. "This music video is an amalgamation of historic images that remind me of moments in time where there was struggle and triumph," he recently described the clip.
The successful track has also made it into "Lift Your Spirit", Blacc's upcoming third studio album that's scheduled to be released in the U.S. on March 11. It will mark his first album to be released via XIX Recordings/Interscope Records.
Of how he feels to drop a record under a major label, he recently told Billboard, "It feels like a whole new existence. Before, as an indie artist, I would just make songs in my bedroom. I have hundreds of songs sitting in my hard drive that will never see the light of day. But now, I can think of an idea and know that it will reach people in a few months. It's a great confirmation."
In the interview with the music site, Blacc also revealed what fans could expect from his new LP. "What I want to do with music is make people happy," Blacc said. "So every song, save for maybe one, is about something that could potentially lift your spirit."
"I did a song with Pharrell Williams called 'Love Is the Answer.' I did a song with Rock Mafia called 'Ticking Bomb,' which is not necessarily a lifting-your-spirit theme, but I also like to make songs that are socially and politically aware. That was a song I wrote about the conflict in Congo, which is a resources conflict that's affecting a lot of people in that environment," he added.
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'