Shailene Woodley Convinced by Jennifer Lawrence to Star in 'Divergent'
Shailene Woodley wouldn't star in "Divergent" if it weren't because of Jennifer Lawrence. The 22-year-old actress revealed in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter magazine that the "The Hunger Games" star was the one who convinced her to take the role in the upcoming film franchise.
"Having come off a TV show, I was kind of in the place where I was like, 'I'm never signing a contract for more than one movie,' because once you do sign a contract, legally, you're liable," Woodley, who took the lead role on ABC Family's "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" for five seasons, said. "[Even] if you don't find something creatively stimulating anymore, you've still got to do it legally." Woodley made her feature film debut in 2011's "The Descendants".
To assure herself, Woodley sent a series of emails to Lawrence. " 'You must do it. You will not regret it for a second. Yes, there are some hard things, but there are so many beautiful things that will come from an opportunity like this,' " Lawrence said according to Woodley.
She was initially hesitant although she was the top pick for the role of Beatrice Prior. "I don't know what happened, but I do know that after that interaction, Shailene said, 'OK, now I'll make Divergent. Let's talk,' " Lionsgate motion picture group co-president Erik Feig said.
"Divergent", which is the first of a planned trilogy, will be released in U.S. theaters on March 21.
More Shailene Woodley News
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof