Shailene Woodley Convinced by Jennifer Lawrence to Star in 'Divergent'
Shailene Woodley wouldn't star in "Divergent" if it weren't because of Jennifer Lawrence. The 22-year-old actress revealed in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter magazine that the "The Hunger Games" star was the one who convinced her to take the role in the upcoming film franchise.
"Having come off a TV show, I was kind of in the place where I was like, 'I'm never signing a contract for more than one movie,' because once you do sign a contract, legally, you're liable," Woodley, who took the lead role on ABC Family's "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" for five seasons, said. "[Even] if you don't find something creatively stimulating anymore, you've still got to do it legally." Woodley made her feature film debut in 2011's "The Descendants".
To assure herself, Woodley sent a series of emails to Lawrence. " 'You must do it. You will not regret it for a second. Yes, there are some hard things, but there are so many beautiful things that will come from an opportunity like this,' " Lawrence said according to Woodley.
She was initially hesitant although she was the top pick for the role of Beatrice Prior. "I don't know what happened, but I do know that after that interaction, Shailene said, 'OK, now I'll make Divergent. Let's talk,' " Lionsgate motion picture group co-president Erik Feig said.
"Divergent", which is the first of a planned trilogy, will be released in U.S. theaters on March 21.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7