E! Orders First Scripted Series 'The Royals' Starring Elizabeth Hurley
E! is entering scripted programming business. The cable channel has officially picked up "The Royals" from "One Tree Hill" creator Mark Schwahn, marking its first scripted drama series order.
The hour-long drama set in modern-day London is about a fictional British royal family. Elizabeth Hurley plays Queen Helena, who will protect her family's image by any means necessary. Vincent Regan, William Moseley, Alexandra Park, Tom Austen, Jake Maskall, Ukweli Roach and Oliver Milburn also star on it.
"We are excited that E!'s first original scripted series will transport viewers into a world that they are already intensely interested in, but reality cameras would never give them access to," says E! executive vp original programming and development Jeff Olde.
He continues, " 'The Royals' will offer a fictional look behind the very public gilded facade of the palace gates to imagine the private, lush, fun, sexy world of the most-watched celebrity family on the planet. It's a perfect series to introduce E! viewers to scripted pop culture programming on the network."
Schwahn will also serve as executive producer along with Brian Robbins and Joe Davola for the show, which is described as "a sweeping ensembler."
In February, Bravo also ordered its first scripted drama series, "Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce" starring "House M.D." alumna Lisa Edelstein. Based on best-selling series "Girlfriends' Guide" by Vicki Iovine, it is slated for a 2015 premiere.
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic
- Selena Gomez Spotted Lip Syncing to The Weeknd's Songs at His Show in Toronto
- Orlando Bloom's Naked Photo Is Spread All Over Hollywood
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala