Nicole Kidman's 'Grace of Monaco' Full Trailer Shows Princess' Identity Crisis
"Grace of Monaco" gets its first full trailer. It shows Nicole Kidman playing Grace Kelly who is portrayed in the film having an identity crisis. The actress-turned-princess is struggling to embrace her new life as royalty. Her desire to return to Hollywood is met with resistance from her husband.
"Some of you ask, why did I leave Hollywood," Nicole says in a voiceover in the beginning of the trailer. "Well, I left because I fell in love with a charming prince." But six years after celebrating Wedding of the Century, their marriage gets rocky as she strives to reconcile her past and her present.
"I don't know how I'm going to spend the rest of my life in this place where I can't be me. And who is that?" she says in frustration. "Everything I do or say is wrong."
Directed by Olivier Dahan, the movie is set in the 1960s when Monaco was under the looming threat of French invasion led by Charles De Gaulle due to tax dispute. The story will take place after Kelly abandoned her Hollywood career to settle into her new role as a princess.
It was criticized by the royal House of Grimaldi due to its "major historical inaccuracies." In his defense, Dahan said the film was not a biopic. Kidman agreed, saying that they only took on the small part of the princess' life "when she reveals her great humanity as her fears and weaknesses."
Kidman stars opposite Tim Roth who plays her on-screen husband, Prince Rainier III. The film was originally scheduled to come out last year, but it got delayed. It is now set as an opener at Cannes Film Festival and will arrive in the U.K. on June 6.
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Name Newborn Baby Boy Dimitri
- John Cena and Casey Affleck Tapped to Host 'SNL'
- Anna Faris Admits She Felt 'Insecure' and 'So Hurt' Over Chris Pratt Cheating Rumors
- Amy Schumer to Play Lead Role in 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- Megyn Kelly Courted by CNN for 8 or 9 P.M. Time Slots
- Check Out First Look at Anne Hathaway on Set of 'Ocean's Eight'
- 'Full House' Creator Buys Original Tanner House in San Francisco for $4M
- Mandy Moore Talks About Her Lesbian Mother and Gay Brothers