Joel McHale's 'The Soup' Spoofs 'True Detective' as Series Creator Debunks Fans Theories
Those who find it difficult to understand what the characters are saying on "True Detective" are not alone. Joel McHale thinks the show's dialogues are confusing, especially because of the accent, and pokes fun at it with a parody on "The Soup".
In the spoof, the "Community" star plays Matthew McConaughey's Cohle while Jim Rash takes on Woody Harrelson's Hart. They often have to ask "what?" as they can't understand what the others say.
Some fans, however, don't find the parody funny. "This isn't funny at all. They're just making up words or stringing together random words," one fan comments. " 'True Detective' has great writing that makes sense and is spoken quite clearly." Another writes, " 'Can Anyone Understand 'True Detective'?' Yes."
In a serious note, series creator Nic Pizzolatto has debunked fans crazy theories about who the killer is. To Buzzfeed, he says, "Going into the final episode, I wanted to end any audience theorizing that Cohle or Hart was the killer, and also provide a concrete face to the abstract evil they're chasing. So, wild speculations aside, we showed the killer's face in Episode 1."
Finding the speculation "a little surprising," he realizes that the theories built by fans are "just part of the experience of having people connect to the show." He adds though, "I just thought that such a revelation would be terrible, obvious writing. For me, the worst writing generally just 'flips' things: this person's really a traitor; it was all a dream; etc. Nothing is so ruinous as a forced 'twist,' I think."
The eighth and final episode of "True Detective" season 1 airs on Sunday, March 9 at 9 P.M. on HBO. The network has not announced whether to renew it for a second season or not, but Matthew McConaughey has stated that he wouldn't return to season 2 if there is. "I won't be back for season two. Season one was finite," he said backstage at Academy Awards.
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues
- First Look at Miley Cyrus as Hippie in Woody Allen's 'Crisis in Six Scenes'
- Drake and Rihanna Kiss on Instagram, Enjoy Date Night After VMAs
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board