Academy Rep Explains Andrew Garfield's Absence at the Oscars
Andrew Garfield's name showed up on the presenters list of the Oscars before the ceremony took place on March 2, but he did not appear as scheduled. There are two versions of the story on why he did not present with "Batkid" Miles Scott at the end.
The unconfirmed report from Page Six suggested that Garfield was being a "spoiled brat." A source told the site that Garfield walked out of the rehearsal because he had some disagreements with the producers. "Garfield refused to go by the script," the source said. "He came up with his own lines. The producers felt that Garfield's [rewrites] were not appropriate."
The source continued, "Garfield had a tantrum. He stormed off. Miles and his family, who were at the rehearsal, were devastated. Garfield was such a spoiled brat that he didn't even want to be a presenter." The star of "The Amazing Spider-Man" was eventually replaced by Chris Evans who plays Captain America in Marvel movies.
A representative of the Academy told E! News, "Due to the nature of a live show, hard decisions sometimes must be made which require the Academy to cut segments due to the logistics of production. Andrew Garfield understood that his segment had to be omitted, and he drove to Disneyland on Monday to spend time with 5-year-old Miles Scott (Batkid) and his family."
Meanwhile, Scott's mom Natalie has little knowledge about the situation. "I don't know if they ran out of time, or if there was something about the segment they didn't like," she told The International Business Times. "It got pulled so quickly that we didn't have a lot of insight into what was going on." She added, "It is kind of a disappointment, but things happen. I know that's how TV goes and how Hollywood is. We're just not used to that."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Make a Pact to Stay Civil for the Kids
- Calvin Harris Premieres Beachy Music Video for 'Feels' Ft. Katy Perry, Pharrell and Big Sean
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Set Photos Reveal Iron Man's New Suit
- Justin Bieber to Team Up With Anitta on New Song
- Alec Baldwin Will Bring Back Donald Trump Impression to 'Saturday Night Live'
- 'Deadpool 2': Ryan Reynolds Crashes Kid's Birthday Party in New Set Photos
- Is Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's Surrogate Pregnant With Twins?
- Is Ryan Seacrest Planning to Leave 'Live' for Profitable 'American Idol' Deal?