Game Show Host Geoff Edwards Dies of Complications of Pneumonia
Game show host Geoff Edwards has passed away at the age of 83. His agent Fred Wostbrock confirms that the television actor and radio personality died Wednesday, March 5 at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica following complications from pneumonia.
"Geoff was one of the cleverest, funniest radio and television personalities I've worked with," says fellow game show host Wink Martindale, who worked with Edwards as DJ at pop radio station KMPC in Los Angeles.
Edwards hosted at least 10 game shows, including "Jackpot" and two incarnations of "Treasure Hunt", during his career. Wostbrock says his longtime client "helped change the look of game shows" with his non-conservative look.
"He had long hair, he never wore a tie, he had an unbuttoned shirt with a gold chain, jeans and boots," Wostbrock said. "In 1974, that was really dramatic...He was part of the new breed."
Edwards left KMPC for KFI, but later resigned as a protest against fellow KFI personality Tom Leykis who planned destruction of recordings by singer Cat Stevens, who had become a Muslim and adopted the name Yusuf Islam. "If this radio station is supporting that then I'm out of here. I don't want to work here," he told listeners at the time.
Edwards also tried his hand at acting, appearing on "I Dream of Jeannie", "That Girl" and "Petticoat Junction".
Wostbrock said his client had been in good health. Edwards is survived his wife, Michael, and stepsons Justin and Jason Feffer. He also has children Todd, Shawn and Chess with ex-wife, Suzanne, and nine grandchildren. Funeral plans are still pending.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones