Game Show Host Geoff Edwards Dies of Complications of Pneumonia
Game show host Geoff Edwards has passed away at the age of 83. His agent Fred Wostbrock confirms that the television actor and radio personality died Wednesday, March 5 at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica following complications from pneumonia.
"Geoff was one of the cleverest, funniest radio and television personalities I've worked with," says fellow game show host Wink Martindale, who worked with Edwards as DJ at pop radio station KMPC in Los Angeles.
Edwards hosted at least 10 game shows, including "Jackpot" and two incarnations of "Treasure Hunt", during his career. Wostbrock says his longtime client "helped change the look of game shows" with his non-conservative look.
"He had long hair, he never wore a tie, he had an unbuttoned shirt with a gold chain, jeans and boots," Wostbrock said. "In 1974, that was really dramatic...He was part of the new breed."
Edwards left KMPC for KFI, but later resigned as a protest against fellow KFI personality Tom Leykis who planned destruction of recordings by singer Cat Stevens, who had become a Muslim and adopted the name Yusuf Islam. "If this radio station is supporting that then I'm out of here. I don't want to work here," he told listeners at the time.
Edwards also tried his hand at acting, appearing on "I Dream of Jeannie", "That Girl" and "Petticoat Junction".
Wostbrock said his client had been in good health. Edwards is survived his wife, Michael, and stepsons Justin and Jason Feffer. He also has children Todd, Shawn and Chess with ex-wife, Suzanne, and nine grandchildren. Funeral plans are still pending.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences