HBO to Release Official 'Game of Thrones' Hip-Hop Album
HBO is readying a mixtape inspired by its hit show "Game of Thrones". According to The Wall Street Journal, the set will feature 10 hip-hop and Latin-music artists rapping about the medieval fantasy series.
Titled "Catch the Throne", the mixtape will be released online on Friday, March 7. Those who made contributions to the record include Big Boi, Common, Wale, Bodega Bamz and Daddy Yankee.
The mixtape is one of HBO's attempts to attract more African-American and Latino viewers and to expand their subscriber base. "Our multicultural audiences are a very important part of our subscribers, and we don't want to take them for granted," explained Lucinda Martinez, HBO's senior vice president for multicultural marketing.
The idea of releasing a hip-hop album came after HBO's marketing executives found out that some famous rappers and other influential people from hip-hop industry were fans of the show.
Common admitted that he watched the show through the middle of Season 2. He said that his song in "Catch the Throne" "is about what it feels like to battle to be top dog, and the things people are willing to do get there."
Meanwhile, Big Boi is a die-hard fan of the series. In addition to watching the episodes, he's reading one of the books on which the show is based. In his song featured in the record, he raps about Khaleesi, "the mother of dragons."
Although he doesn't watch the show regularly, Wale said that he's honored to be featured in the mixtape. "I'm really happy. I get to be part of the process of one of my favorite shows," he said.
More Game of Thrones News
- Get First Look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison in 'Current War'
- Kylie Jenner Shows a Lot of Skin in Barely There Two-Piece
- Is Selena Gomez Begging for Justin Bieber's 'Blessing' to Date The Weeknd After JB Calls Him 'Wack'?
- 'Logan' Is Not Set in the Same 'X-Men' Universe, According to Hugh Jackman
- Gavin Rossdale Doesn't Want to Divorce Gwen Stefani, Says She's Still 'Incredible'
- John Legend Breaks Silence on Being Called 'Monkey' by Paparazzo
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan