Vivienne Cast in 'Maleficent' Because She's the Only Kid Not Scared of Angelina Jolie
Angelina Jolie graces the cover of Entertainment Weekly's latest issue in a full evil costume as a promo for her upcoming movie "Maleficent". The actress explains why her daughter Vivienne was cast in the movie, despite her statement that she and fiance Brad Pitt didn't want their kids to follow their footsteps in showbiz.
In an interview with the magazine for her cover story, the mother of six says that it was not a choice, but rather a necessity, to have her five-year-old daughter playing the young Princess Aurora because the other child actresses auditioning for the role were afraid of her on the set.
"We think it's fun for our kids to have cameos and join us on set, but not to be actors. That's not our goal, for Brad and I, at all," she says. "But the other three- and four-year-old [performers] wouldn't come near me. It had to be a child that liked me and wasn't afraid of my horns and my eyes and my claws. So it had to be Viv."
The 38-year-old star recalls the one time she scared her friend's kids on set, "I had a friend come with their children and when I met the kids, the kids froze and screamed so much that I had to go wait in my trailer."
Even one of her own children was afraid of her, Jolie says. "When Pax saw me for the first time he ran away and got upset - and I thought he was kidding, so I pretended to chase him until I actually found him crying," she recounts. "I had to take off pieces (of the makeup) in front of him to show him it was all fake and not freak him out so much."
Pax eventually got used to his mother in her costume, and he, along with sister Zahara, ended up being extras on the set. They were among the crowd witnessing Jolie's Maleficent showing up at the king's palace to place a curse on Aurora. "I had to walk by them being very mean," she says. "Of course, I wanted to stop and wink at them."
"Maleficent", due May 30 in the United States, tells the backstory of Sleeping Beauty's infamous villain. Elle Fanning stars as Princess Aurora, Brenton Thwaites as her prince, while Sharlto Copley and Miranda Richardson as the king and queen respectively.
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift