Barkhad Abdi Struggling Financially Despite Oscar Nomination
Barkhad Abdi received a considerably low salary when starring in "Captain Phillips" and he is reportedly struggling to make ends meet. Two years ago, the Somali American actor was paid just $65,000 for the film that went on making almost $218 million in the box office.
"Captain Phillips", which also stars Tom Hanks, was Abdi's film debut. He left his job in his brother's mobile phone store when he got the gig. He later received supporting actor nomination at recent Oscar, Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA Awards, winning in the latest. Despite the accolades, Abdi did not thrive financially.
The New Yorker reported that the former limo driver was living off the glitzy glamor while in Los Angeles for the awards season. He refused to stay at the fancy Beverly Hilton hotel in trade of a hotel near the airport so that he could be near a friend who could drive him around for free. The 28-year-old also wore loaner clothes.
Abdi is still living in Minnesota and is planning to move to Los Angeles to pursue acting careers. According to THR, he is in talks to star as South African runner Willie Mtolo in the upcoming film "The Place That Hits the Sun".
Back in January, Abdi told ABC News that he was not a big spender. "I'm not big into buying stuff, I'm a simple guy," he said. "I bought a car, not that big name of a car, a Saab. I'm not into big name stuff."
- Kristen Stewart Racing Through L.A. in Rolling Stones' 'Ride 'Em on Down' Video
- Anderson Cooper Was Once Set Up With Andy Cohen, but Turned It Down
- Justin Bieber Spotted Reuniting, Holding Hands With Hailey Baldwin in Los Angeles
- Kid Cudi Teams Up With Travis Scott for 'Baptized in Fire', Reveals the Release Date of New Album
- Michael Fassbender Engages in Epic Carriage Chase in Extended 'Assassin's Creed' Clip
- J. Cole to Release New Album '4 Your Eyez Only'
- Andrew Garfield Wouldn't Mind Being Stranded on Desert Island With Emma Stone
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Famous Derriere in Racy Fishnet Tights