Barkhad Abdi Struggling Financially Despite Oscar Nomination
Barkhad Abdi received a considerably low salary when starring in "Captain Phillips" and he is reportedly struggling to make ends meet. Two years ago, the Somali American actor was paid just $65,000 for the film that went on making almost $218 million in the box office.
"Captain Phillips", which also stars Tom Hanks, was Abdi's film debut. He left his job in his brother's mobile phone store when he got the gig. He later received supporting actor nomination at recent Oscar, Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA Awards, winning in the latest. Despite the accolades, Abdi did not thrive financially.
The New Yorker reported that the former limo driver was living off the glitzy glamor while in Los Angeles for the awards season. He refused to stay at the fancy Beverly Hilton hotel in trade of a hotel near the airport so that he could be near a friend who could drive him around for free. The 28-year-old also wore loaner clothes.
Abdi is still living in Minnesota and is planning to move to Los Angeles to pursue acting careers. According to THR, he is in talks to star as South African runner Willie Mtolo in the upcoming film "The Place That Hits the Sun".
Back in January, Abdi told ABC News that he was not a big spender. "I'm not big into buying stuff, I'm a simple guy," he said. "I bought a car, not that big name of a car, a Saab. I'm not into big name stuff."
- Nathan Keyes to Play Justin Timberlake in Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic
- Brad Pitt Voluntarily Tested for Drug and Alcohol Amid Child Abuse Allegation
- 'SNL' Finds Its New Donald Trump in Alec Baldwin After Taran Killam's Exit
- Madonna Shares Nude Pic as She Joins Katy Perry to Vote Naked
- The Weeknd Kills His Old Self in 'Starboy' Music Video
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris