Barkhad Abdi Struggling Financially Despite Oscar Nomination
Barkhad Abdi received a considerably low salary when starring in "Captain Phillips" and he is reportedly struggling to make ends meet. Two years ago, the Somali American actor was paid just $65,000 for the film that went on making almost $218 million in the box office.
"Captain Phillips", which also stars Tom Hanks, was Abdi's film debut. He left his job in his brother's mobile phone store when he got the gig. He later received supporting actor nomination at recent Oscar, Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA Awards, winning in the latest. Despite the accolades, Abdi did not thrive financially.
The New Yorker reported that the former limo driver was living off the glitzy glamor while in Los Angeles for the awards season. He refused to stay at the fancy Beverly Hilton hotel in trade of a hotel near the airport so that he could be near a friend who could drive him around for free. The 28-year-old also wore loaner clothes.
Abdi is still living in Minnesota and is planning to move to Los Angeles to pursue acting careers. According to THR, he is in talks to star as South African runner Willie Mtolo in the upcoming film "The Place That Hits the Sun".
Back in January, Abdi told ABC News that he was not a big spender. "I'm not big into buying stuff, I'm a simple guy," he said. "I bought a car, not that big name of a car, a Saab. I'm not into big name stuff."
- Dr. Dre Detained Outside His Malibu House After an Alleged Road Rage
- Sarah Silverman Gets Booed for Mocking Bernie Sanders Supporters at DNC
- Kiersey Clemons Confirmed to Star as Iris West in 'The Flash' Movie
- Mariah Carey's Fiance James Packer Grabs Her Boob While Partying in Italy
- 'The Bachelorette': JoJo Picks Final Two After Ruining a Suitor's Fantasy Suite Date
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson's Unreleased Song 'Stay Together' Surfaces Online
- 'He's a Dirty Dog!' Sharon Osbourne Blasts Ozzy for Comments on Their Marriage
- Katharine McPhee and Boyfriend Elyes Gabel Call It Quits After Two Years