Barkhad Abdi Struggling Financially Despite Oscar Nomination
Barkhad Abdi received a considerably low salary when starring in "Captain Phillips" and he is reportedly struggling to make ends meet. Two years ago, the Somali American actor was paid just $65,000 for the film that went on making almost $218 million in the box office.
"Captain Phillips", which also stars Tom Hanks, was Abdi's film debut. He left his job in his brother's mobile phone store when he got the gig. He later received supporting actor nomination at recent Oscar, Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA Awards, winning in the latest. Despite the accolades, Abdi did not thrive financially.
The New Yorker reported that the former limo driver was living off the glitzy glamor while in Los Angeles for the awards season. He refused to stay at the fancy Beverly Hilton hotel in trade of a hotel near the airport so that he could be near a friend who could drive him around for free. The 28-year-old also wore loaner clothes.
Abdi is still living in Minnesota and is planning to move to Los Angeles to pursue acting careers. According to THR, he is in talks to star as South African runner Willie Mtolo in the upcoming film "The Place That Hits the Sun".
Back in January, Abdi told ABC News that he was not a big spender. "I'm not big into buying stuff, I'm a simple guy," he said. "I bought a car, not that big name of a car, a Saab. I'm not into big name stuff."
- Bella Hadid and Justin Bieber Accuse Selena Gomez of Using The Weeknd for Promotion
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video