Justin Timberlake's 'The Idolmaker' Remake Gets New Director
MGM's remake of "The Idolmaker" is moving forward with negotiations to find the right director taking place. Variety learns that Craig Brewer ("Hustle & Flow", "Footloose") is in talks to sit behind the lens for the project which involves Justin Timberlake as a producer.
The project has been in development for several years now. Ryan Gosling was originally attached to star and make a directorial debut with the film. It's planned as a redo of a 1980 movie which follows a mercenary music promoter taking two teenage boys under his wing and setting out to turn them into the next big stars.
The story is based on real-life legendary music promoter and manager Bob Marcucci who discovered talented acts like Frankie Avalon and Fabian. Directed by Taylor Hackford, the original pic starred Ray Sharkey, Peter Gallagher, and Paul Land among others.
The "Idolmaker" remake is not the only musical drama JT is working on. The "Suit & Tie" hitmaker is also on board to produce and star in "Spinning Gold", a biopic about record exec Neil Bogart.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation