Lena Dunham Booked to Pen 'Archie' Comic Series
After a hit TV series, Lena Dunham now is going to try her hand at writing comics. The series creator and star of HBO's "Girls" has been tapped to write a four-part story for the "Archie" comic series.
"We sent her a box of tons of Archie books," says newly-hired Chief Creative Officer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa who recruited the Golden Globe-winning actress. "She devoured them all, and maybe a week or two later came back with her pitch."
The still-unnamed story slated to arrive in 2015 will focus on the girls of Riverdale. Aguirre-Sacasa teases that it will be "set in the Archie continuity" and is also "very contemporary," adding, "It's a classic Archie story with a definitely unique, Lena spin."
Dunham admits she's a fan of the long-running comic strip. "I was an avid Archie collector as a child," she says via press release. "Conventions, first editions that l kept in plastic sleeves, the whole shebang. It has so much cultural significance but also so much personal significance, and to get to play with these beloved characters is a wild creative opportunity."
The 27-year-old star currently stars on HBO's sitcom "Girls" which has been renewed for season 4. She has also sealed a deal to publish her first book, an essay collection called "Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's Learned", via Random House.
More Lena Dunham News
- Madonna Is 'Getting Serious' With Her New Toy Boy
- Is Angelina Jolie Adopting More Children Following Brad Pitt Divorce?
- Is Kim Kardashian Exiting 'KUWTK' for Politics?
- Rita Ora Releases New Single 'Your Song'
- Beyonce Demands a Silent Birth
- 'Teen Mom' Star Amber Portwood Confirms Sex Tape Negotiations
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Butt and Sideboob in Another Yacht Date With Younes Bendjima
- NBC Pushes Jennifer Lopez's 'Bye Bye Birdie Live!' to 2018