Lena Dunham Booked to Pen 'Archie' Comic Series
After a hit TV series, Lena Dunham now is going to try her hand at writing comics. The series creator and star of HBO's "Girls" has been tapped to write a four-part story for the "Archie" comic series.
"We sent her a box of tons of Archie books," says newly-hired Chief Creative Officer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa who recruited the Golden Globe-winning actress. "She devoured them all, and maybe a week or two later came back with her pitch."
The still-unnamed story slated to arrive in 2015 will focus on the girls of Riverdale. Aguirre-Sacasa teases that it will be "set in the Archie continuity" and is also "very contemporary," adding, "It's a classic Archie story with a definitely unique, Lena spin."
Dunham admits she's a fan of the long-running comic strip. "I was an avid Archie collector as a child," she says via press release. "Conventions, first editions that l kept in plastic sleeves, the whole shebang. It has so much cultural significance but also so much personal significance, and to get to play with these beloved characters is a wild creative opportunity."
The 27-year-old star currently stars on HBO's sitcom "Girls" which has been renewed for season 4. She has also sealed a deal to publish her first book, an essay collection called "Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's Learned", via Random House.
More Lena Dunham News
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'