Chelsea Handler's Oscars Tweets on Lupita Nyong'o, '12 Years a Slave' Deemed Racist
Chelsea Handler is under fire for posting several racially charged tweets during the 86th Academy Awards. The comedienne became the guest tweeter for The Huffington Post on Sunday, March 2 and she may have gone too far with some of her comments.
On Lupita Nyong'o's win for Best Supporting Actress, she wrote, "#AngelinaJolie just filed adoption papers #lupitanyongo #Oscars." She later stayed on the subject, writing, "#AngelinaJolie's adoption went through #sidneypoitier." Jolie was presenting an award with the legendary actor. She also took a jab at Whoopi Goldberg, writing, "Sorry Chanel #whoopsigoldberg #Oscars."
While tweeting, Handler took the chance to promote her book "Uganda Be Kidding Me" which is out on Tuesday, March 4. "Congratulations #12yearsaslave Go to Africa or buy #ugandabekiddingme http://amzn.to/1de1ka9 #aheadofthecurve #Oscars," she tweeted. In one post she joked about the deceased Nelson Mandela, writing, "#NelsonMandela looks great #abc #resurrection -Oscars".
For those tweets, Handler has drawn criticisms for being "offensive," "racist" and "disgraceful" among others. Huffington Post senior executive director Perri Dorset told TheGrio.com that "the views [expressed by Handler] are not ours."
- Alex Rodriguez Bans J.Lo From Talking to Ex Casper Smart
- 'KUWTK': Lisa Rinna's Family to Replace the Kardashians
- Selena Gomez Fears Run-In With Ex Justin Bieber at 2017 Billboard Music Awards
- Find Out Why Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Bans Kanye West From Mexican Trip
- Report: Angelina Jolie Is Using Black Magic to Get Revenge From Brad Pitt
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'