Chelsea Handler's Oscars Tweets on Lupita Nyong'o, '12 Years a Slave' Deemed Racist
Chelsea Handler is under fire for posting several racially charged tweets during the 86th Academy Awards. The comedienne became the guest tweeter for The Huffington Post on Sunday, March 2 and she may have gone too far with some of her comments.
On Lupita Nyong'o's win for Best Supporting Actress, she wrote, "#AngelinaJolie just filed adoption papers #lupitanyongo #Oscars." She later stayed on the subject, writing, "#AngelinaJolie's adoption went through #sidneypoitier." Jolie was presenting an award with the legendary actor. She also took a jab at Whoopi Goldberg, writing, "Sorry Chanel #whoopsigoldberg #Oscars."
While tweeting, Handler took the chance to promote her book "Uganda Be Kidding Me" which is out on Tuesday, March 4. "Congratulations #12yearsaslave Go to Africa or buy #ugandabekiddingme http://amzn.to/1de1ka9 #aheadofthecurve #Oscars," she tweeted. In one post she joked about the deceased Nelson Mandela, writing, "#NelsonMandela looks great #abc #resurrection -Oscars".
For those tweets, Handler has drawn criticisms for being "offensive," "racist" and "disgraceful" among others. Huffington Post senior executive director Perri Dorset told TheGrio.com that "the views [expressed by Handler] are not ours."
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby