Chelsea Handler's Oscars Tweets on Lupita Nyong'o, '12 Years a Slave' Deemed Racist
Chelsea Handler is under fire for posting several racially charged tweets during the 86th Academy Awards. The comedienne became the guest tweeter for The Huffington Post on Sunday, March 2 and she may have gone too far with some of her comments.
On Lupita Nyong'o's win for Best Supporting Actress, she wrote, "#AngelinaJolie just filed adoption papers #lupitanyongo #Oscars." She later stayed on the subject, writing, "#AngelinaJolie's adoption went through #sidneypoitier." Jolie was presenting an award with the legendary actor. She also took a jab at Whoopi Goldberg, writing, "Sorry Chanel #whoopsigoldberg #Oscars."
While tweeting, Handler took the chance to promote her book "Uganda Be Kidding Me" which is out on Tuesday, March 4. "Congratulations #12yearsaslave Go to Africa or buy #ugandabekiddingme http://amzn.to/1de1ka9 #aheadofthecurve #Oscars," she tweeted. In one post she joked about the deceased Nelson Mandela, writing, "#NelsonMandela looks great #abc #resurrection -Oscars".
For those tweets, Handler has drawn criticisms for being "offensive," "racist" and "disgraceful" among others. Huffington Post senior executive director Perri Dorset told TheGrio.com that "the views [expressed by Handler] are not ours."
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season