Chelsea Handler's Oscars Tweets on Lupita Nyong'o, '12 Years a Slave' Deemed Racist
Chelsea Handler is under fire for posting several racially charged tweets during the 86th Academy Awards. The comedienne became the guest tweeter for The Huffington Post on Sunday, March 2 and she may have gone too far with some of her comments.
On Lupita Nyong'o's win for Best Supporting Actress, she wrote, "#AngelinaJolie just filed adoption papers #lupitanyongo #Oscars." She later stayed on the subject, writing, "#AngelinaJolie's adoption went through #sidneypoitier." Jolie was presenting an award with the legendary actor. She also took a jab at Whoopi Goldberg, writing, "Sorry Chanel #whoopsigoldberg #Oscars."
While tweeting, Handler took the chance to promote her book "Uganda Be Kidding Me" which is out on Tuesday, March 4. "Congratulations #12yearsaslave Go to Africa or buy #ugandabekiddingme http://amzn.to/1de1ka9 #aheadofthecurve #Oscars," she tweeted. In one post she joked about the deceased Nelson Mandela, writing, "#NelsonMandela looks great #abc #resurrection -Oscars".
For those tweets, Handler has drawn criticisms for being "offensive," "racist" and "disgraceful" among others. Huffington Post senior executive director Perri Dorset told TheGrio.com that "the views [expressed by Handler] are not ours."
More Chelsea Handler News
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism