John Travolta Ridiculed After Butchering Idina Menzel's Name at 2014 Oscars
John Travolta became the subject of ridicule after he messed up his presentation of Idina Menzel's performance at Sunday, March 2 Academy Awards ceremony. The veteran actor had difficulty mentioning the singer's name, reading it as something that sounded like "Adele Nazeem".
Menzel, a Tony Award-winning singer/actress, was due to perform the nominated song "Let It Go" from "Frozen (2013)". Travolta was given the task to introduce her and said, "Please welcome the wickedly talented Adele Nazeem."
The misspelling did not go unnoticed. Rosie O'Donnell joked on Twitter, "I'll have the ADAHZEE MAZINE with sauce on the side." Mario Lopez tweeted, "Travolta is the man...But AdeleNazim ?!" Actress Constance Zimmer wrote, "Wait, John Travolta u don't know @idinamenzel 's name?"
Despite the flub, Menzel awed the audience with her powerful rendition of the ballad. The night's host Ellen DeGeneres mentioned the correct pronunciation of Menzel's name after the performance. DeGeneres herself almost butchered a celebrity's name when introducing the presenters. She said, "Please welcome Christopher..." before correcting it to Christoph Waltz.
There were also a bunch of other name mistakes made during the Oscars. Julia Roberts was mistakenly called Jessica Roberts by ABC red carpet fashion correspondent Tyson Beckford. The official Academy Awards Instagram page also captioned Penelope Cruz as Salma Hayek.
- Madonna Is 'Getting Serious' With Her New Toy Boy
- Is Angelina Jolie Adopting More Children Following Brad Pitt Divorce?
- Is Kim Kardashian Exiting 'KUWTK' for Politics?
- Rita Ora Releases New Single 'Your Song'
- Beyonce Demands a Silent Birth
- 'Teen Mom' Star Amber Portwood Confirms Sex Tape Negotiations
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Butt and Sideboob in Another Yacht Date With Younes Bendjima
- NBC Pushes Jennifer Lopez's 'Bye Bye Birdie Live!' to 2018