John Travolta Ridiculed After Butchering Idina Menzel's Name at 2014 Oscars
John Travolta became the subject of ridicule after he messed up his presentation of Idina Menzel's performance at Sunday, March 2 Academy Awards ceremony. The veteran actor had difficulty mentioning the singer's name, reading it as something that sounded like "Adele Nazeem".
Menzel, a Tony Award-winning singer/actress, was due to perform the nominated song "Let It Go" from "Frozen (2013)". Travolta was given the task to introduce her and said, "Please welcome the wickedly talented Adele Nazeem."
The misspelling did not go unnoticed. Rosie O'Donnell joked on Twitter, "I'll have the ADAHZEE MAZINE with sauce on the side." Mario Lopez tweeted, "Travolta is the man...But AdeleNazim ?!" Actress Constance Zimmer wrote, "Wait, John Travolta u don't know @idinamenzel 's name?"
Despite the flub, Menzel awed the audience with her powerful rendition of the ballad. The night's host Ellen DeGeneres mentioned the correct pronunciation of Menzel's name after the performance. DeGeneres herself almost butchered a celebrity's name when introducing the presenters. She said, "Please welcome Christopher..." before correcting it to Christoph Waltz.
There were also a bunch of other name mistakes made during the Oscars. Julia Roberts was mistakenly called Jessica Roberts by ABC red carpet fashion correspondent Tyson Beckford. The official Academy Awards Instagram page also captioned Penelope Cruz as Salma Hayek.
- Avril Lavigne's New Album Is on the Way
- Bella Thorne Comes Out as Bisexual After Photo of Her Kissing Another Woman Emerged
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Amazon Adapting Martin Scorsese's 'The Departed' Into TV series
- Emma Stone Sings Sad Heartbreak Song in New 'La La Land' Teaser Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Joins Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' as Late Actress Geraldine Page
- Shannen Doherty Settles Health Insurance Lawsuit With Ex-Manager Amid Cancer Battle