French Director Alain Resnais Dies at 91
French director Alain Resnais, who is popular with his works such as "Hiroshima Mon Amour" and "Last Year at Marienbad", has passed away. He was 91. The acclaimed filmmaker passed away on Saturday night, March 1 in Paris. The New York Post reports that the sad news was confirmed by French president Francois Hollande who called him one of France's greatest filmmakers.
Actor Pierre Arditi talked about the director with France2 television on Sunday. "The most precious thing I can remember is when he would sit crouched on his long legs, resting his head in his hands, and devoured the actors with his lovely blue eyes as though we were diamonds. And of course when you get a look like that you become a diamond," he said.
As reported by The Guardian, French foreign minister Laurent Fabius also paid tribute to Resnais on Sunday. He called the late-director "a very great talent" who was "universally known."
Resnais was born on June 3, 1922, in the village of Vannes, in Brittany. He was interested in films when he was a child and directed his first film "L'Aventure de Guy" when he was 14. He later moved to Paris and studied acting.
Resnais received a lifetime achievement award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2009. In addition to the two popular titles, his other credits included 1955's "Night and Fog", 1977's "Providence", 1980's "Mon Oncle d'Amerique" and 1999's "Smoking/No Smoking". His most-recent movie "The Life of Riley" was premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival last month.
- Ja Rule Apologizes for Disastrous Fyre Festival, Insists 'It Was Not a Scam'
- 'Roseanne' Revival in the Works With Original Main Cast
- Aaron Rodgers Spotted on Date With 'Baywatch' Star Kelly Rohrbach After Olivia Munn Split
- Gwen Stefani Hospitalized Due to Ruptured Ear Drum
- Watch Music Video for Justin Bieber and DJ Khaled's New Collab 'I'm the One'
- Khloe Kardashian Hits Back at Hater Over Cuddly Pic With Scott Disick
- Angelina Jolie Throws Divorce Party
- 'Rob and Chyna' Filming Halted Because of Kris Jenner