'Noah' Adds Disclaimer Saying It's Creative, Not Literal, Adaptation of Bible
Paramount has decided to add a disclaimer to the future marketings of Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" to avoid further controversy and potential critics from religious groups. The so-called "explanatory message" will remind viewers that the movie is a creative, not literal, interpretation of the Bible story.
"The film is inspired by the story of Noah," the disclaimer states. "While artistic license has been taken, we believe that this film is true to the essence, values and integrity of a story that is a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide. The biblical story of Noah can be found in the book of Genesis."
The move was made after conversations between the studio and the National Religious Broadcasters, a conservative Christian organization whose campaign includes supporting "biblical truth."
"Because of the quality of the production and acting, viewers will enjoy watching main themes from the Noah story depicted in a powerful way on the big screen," said NRB's president Jerry A. Johnson. "However, my intent in reaching out to Paramount with this request was to make sure everyone who sees this impactful film knows this is an imaginative interpretation of Scripture, and not literal."
The disclaimer will be part of "future marketing materials...the film's official website, and 100% of print and radio, as well as a percentage of the film's online and broadcast" ads.
"Noah" is set for a March 28 release in the U.S., with Russell Crowe portraying a man chosen by God for a great task before an apocalyptic flood destroys the world. Other cast members include Anthony Hopkins, Ray Winstone, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson, Logan Lerman and Douglas Booth.
The movie recently released a motion poster which emphasizes the great flood.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special