'Noah' Adds Disclaimer Saying It's Creative, Not Literal, Adaptation of Bible
Paramount has decided to add a disclaimer to the future marketings of Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" to avoid further controversy and potential critics from religious groups. The so-called "explanatory message" will remind viewers that the movie is a creative, not literal, interpretation of the Bible story.
"The film is inspired by the story of Noah," the disclaimer states. "While artistic license has been taken, we believe that this film is true to the essence, values and integrity of a story that is a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide. The biblical story of Noah can be found in the book of Genesis."
The move was made after conversations between the studio and the National Religious Broadcasters, a conservative Christian organization whose campaign includes supporting "biblical truth."
"Because of the quality of the production and acting, viewers will enjoy watching main themes from the Noah story depicted in a powerful way on the big screen," said NRB's president Jerry A. Johnson. "However, my intent in reaching out to Paramount with this request was to make sure everyone who sees this impactful film knows this is an imaginative interpretation of Scripture, and not literal."
The disclaimer will be part of "future marketing materials...the film's official website, and 100% of print and radio, as well as a percentage of the film's online and broadcast" ads.
"Noah" is set for a March 28 release in the U.S., with Russell Crowe portraying a man chosen by God for a great task before an apocalyptic flood destroys the world. Other cast members include Anthony Hopkins, Ray Winstone, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson, Logan Lerman and Douglas Booth.
The movie recently released a motion poster which emphasizes the great flood.
More Noah News
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift