Clay Aiken Officially Files to Run for Congress in North Carolina
Clay Aiken officially joins congressional race in his native North Carolina. The singer, who had previously announced his plans to run for Congress, submitted paperwork on Thursday, February 27 to seek the Democratic nomination in the state's 2nd District.
Also seeking the Democratic nomination are former North Carolina Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco and licensed professional counselor Toni Morris. If Aiken wins the Democratic primary, he will likely face off against Republican Renee Ellmers who currently holds the 2nd District seat.
The 2nd District is considered Republican-leaning, but "The Way" hitmaker believes, "They are enthusiastic about seeing change." He has also expressed confidence in winning the congressional race, "I am comfortable with myself. I am comfortable with the campaign we're running. I am positive that people are going to vote for the person who they think will do the best job, who they think can win in November."
Aiken's campaign has raised more than $100,000 so far, while Ellmers has collected $260,000 for her campaign coffers.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7