Clay Aiken Officially Files to Run for Congress in North Carolina
Clay Aiken officially joins congressional race in his native North Carolina. The singer, who had previously announced his plans to run for Congress, submitted paperwork on Thursday, February 27 to seek the Democratic nomination in the state's 2nd District.
Also seeking the Democratic nomination are former North Carolina Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco and licensed professional counselor Toni Morris. If Aiken wins the Democratic primary, he will likely face off against Republican Renee Ellmers who currently holds the 2nd District seat.
The 2nd District is considered Republican-leaning, but "The Way" hitmaker believes, "They are enthusiastic about seeing change." He has also expressed confidence in winning the congressional race, "I am comfortable with myself. I am comfortable with the campaign we're running. I am positive that people are going to vote for the person who they think will do the best job, who they think can win in November."
Aiken's campaign has raised more than $100,000 so far, while Ellmers has collected $260,000 for her campaign coffers.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics