Clay Aiken Officially Files to Run for Congress in North Carolina
Clay Aiken officially joins congressional race in his native North Carolina. The singer, who had previously announced his plans to run for Congress, submitted paperwork on Thursday, February 27 to seek the Democratic nomination in the state's 2nd District.
Also seeking the Democratic nomination are former North Carolina Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco and licensed professional counselor Toni Morris. If Aiken wins the Democratic primary, he will likely face off against Republican Renee Ellmers who currently holds the 2nd District seat.
The 2nd District is considered Republican-leaning, but "The Way" hitmaker believes, "They are enthusiastic about seeing change." He has also expressed confidence in winning the congressional race, "I am comfortable with myself. I am comfortable with the campaign we're running. I am positive that people are going to vote for the person who they think will do the best job, who they think can win in November."
Aiken's campaign has raised more than $100,000 so far, while Ellmers has collected $260,000 for her campaign coffers.
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered