Scientology Responds to Leah Remini's Latest Comments on the Church
Church of Scientology did not wait long to respond to Leah Remini's comments about the Church. The former "Kings of Queens" star told Buzzfeed in an interview earlier this week that she left the Church for the sake of her 9-year-old daughter Sofia, and because she did not want to be a hypocrite.
A rep of the Church told Us Weekly in an exclusive statement that the actress actually was due to be expelled before she left. "It comes as no surprise that someone as self-absorbed as Leah Remini with an insatiable craving for attention would exploit her former faith as a publicity stunt by rewriting her history with it, including omitting that she was participating in a program to remain a Scientologist by her own choice, as she was on the verge of being expelled for her ethical lapses," the rep said.
Remini said she was reminded of her own childhood and how she grew up hating her mother for spending too much time in church. "I started thinking of my own childhood and how I grew up resenting my mother because she was never home," she recalled. "But my mom thought she was doing something good; she thought she was helping the planet. That's what the Church tells you."
She added, "In my house, it's family first - but I was spending most of my time at the Church. So, I was saying 'family first,' but I wasn't showing that. I didn't like the message that sent my daughter." The actress revealed how she went straight to Church after lunch and did not even have time to have a glass of wine because the Church prohibited its members to drink before counseling.
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy