Katy Perry Removes Islamic Symbol From 'Dark Horse' Video Following Protest
Katy Perry has responded to an online petition demanding YouTube to remove her "Dark Horse" video due to its blasphemous content. Shazad Iqbal, who started the petition after spotting a man wearing a necklace that reads "Allah" getting "burned," announced that the clip had been edited out.
"Guys I'm thrilled to let you all know the name of Allah has been removed from the 'Dark Horse' video," he said on change.org on Thursday, February 27. "We couldn't have done it without everyone's support, so I thank each and every one of you deeply our voices have been heard! God bless you all." The petition garnered more than 65,000 signatures.
Earlier this week, Iqbal made headlines after news about his petition surfaced. The U.K. resident claimed that the blasphemy in "Dark Horse" video "is clearly conveyed" since Perry, who plays an Egyptian queen and turns all of his suitors into dust, "engulfs the believe and the word God in flames."
"This is the reason for lodging the petition, so that people from different walks of life, different religions and from different parts of the world, agree that the video promotes blasphemy, using the name of God in an irrelevant and distasteful manner would be considered inappropriate by any religion," he explained.
"Dark Horse" video was released on Vevo last week. The track, featuring Juicy J, has so far topped Billboard 100 for four weeks. It appears in Perry's latest chart-topping album "Prism".
More Katy Perry News
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- Meghan Trainor to Release New Song 'I'm a Lady'