Warner Bros. Picks Up Movie Rights to Building Block Video Game 'Minecraft'
Warner Bros. is developing a "Minecraft" movie. After the success of "The Lego Movie" which is based on the world's most famous construction toys, the studio is now gearing up to give the building block video game from Sweden a big-screen treatment.
The movie will be produced by Roy Lee ("The Lego Movie") and Jill Messick ("Mean Girls", "Mean Moms"). While the "Lego" movie is animated, this adaptation of Mojang's sandbox game, according to Deadline, will be a live-action project.
WB hasn't said a word about the movie, but Minecraft's creator Markus "Notch" Persson has taken it to Twitter to confirm the deal is being finalized, "Someone is trying leak the fact that we're working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie. I wanted to be the leak!"
"It's for real," he later tells Polygon. "I think every part of that tweet was real, including me wanting to be the one to spill the news about a potential movie." He adds, "It would be nice to tell people when it's 100 percent solid rather than to leak it before it's completely final, but our hands were a bit tied and rushed here."
Earlier this month, the Swedish indie game developer shut down a Kickstarter attempt for a fan film based on "Minecraft" which already reached 100 million registered users around the world. Persson wrote back then, "We don't allow half a million kickstarters based on our ip without any deals in place. :/"
In addition to the "Minecraft" film, WB is trying to bring another wildly popular game, Imangi Studios' "Temple Run", to the big screen.
Rival company, Sony, meanwhile, is making "Pixels" which is adapted from Patrick Jean's short film about a New York City invasion by classic 8-bit video games such as Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Tetris, and Arkanoid. Adam Sandler is set to star in the movie, Kevin James and Josh Gad are in talks to join the pic, while Jennifer Aniston is courted as the female lead.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie