Seth Rogen Talks About Mother-In-Law's Struggle With Alzheimer's Disease
Seth Rogen testified at a Senate Appropriations subcommittee hearing on the economics and current state of research of Alzheimer's disease treatment and prevention on Wednesday, February 26 in Washington D.C. The actor attended the hearing to share a story related to the disease.
At the hearing, Rogen said that he met his wife Lauren Miller's parents nine years ago. Shortly after, her mother Adele was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at the age of 55. "After forgetting who she and her loved one were, she forgot how to speak, feed herself, dress herself, all by age of 60," he said. At that time, Rogen also admitted that he only knew that the disease "was something only really, really old people got" which included "forgetting your keys and mismatched shoes."
"The situation is so dire that it caused me, a lazy, self-involved, generally self-medicated man-child to start an entire charity organization," he added. He and his wife created "Hilarity for Charity" which is aimed to educate young people about the disease.
"I came here today for few reasons," he also said. "One, I'm a huge 'House of Cards' fan. ... Two, people need more help. I've personally witnessed the massive amount of financial strain this disease causes." He continued, "The third reason I'm here, simply, is to show people that they're not alone. So few people share their personal stories, so few people have something to relate to, I know that if me and my wife saw somebody like me talking about this, we would feel less alone."
Rogen later took to Twitter to encourage his followers to keep supporting the campaign. "All those empty seats are senators who are not prioritizing Alzheimer's. Unless more noise is made, it won't change," he wrote.
All those empty seats are senators who are not prioritizing Alzheimer's. Unless more noise is made, it won't change. pic.twitter.com/xDW6tlMHmH— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) February 26, 2014
- Chris Pratt Name Drops Jennifer Lawrence in Christmas-Themed Mad Lib Theater With Jimmy Fallon
- Drake and Aaliyah's Posthumous Collaboration 'Talk Is Cheap' Surfaces Online
- Tom Hanks Puts Emma Watson in Danger in 'The Circle' Teaser Trailer
- Mariah Carey Flaunts Her Curves in Peek-a-Boo Dress After Christmas Concert With Bryan Tanaka
- Watch Fiona Apple Sing Anti-Donald Trump Christmas Carol
- Sofia Vergara Gets Sued by Her Own Embryos as Legal Battle With Ex Continues
- Watch Shawn Mendes Cover Drake's 'Fake Love' on 'Live Lounge'
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Expecting First Child With Wife Joana Pak