Seth Rogen Talks About Mother-In-Law's Struggle With Alzheimer's Disease
Seth Rogen testified at a Senate Appropriations subcommittee hearing on the economics and current state of research of Alzheimer's disease treatment and prevention on Wednesday, February 26 in Washington D.C. The actor attended the hearing to share a story related to the disease.
At the hearing, Rogen said that he met his wife Lauren Miller's parents nine years ago. Shortly after, her mother Adele was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at the age of 55. "After forgetting who she and her loved one were, she forgot how to speak, feed herself, dress herself, all by age of 60," he said. At that time, Rogen also admitted that he only knew that the disease "was something only really, really old people got" which included "forgetting your keys and mismatched shoes."
"The situation is so dire that it caused me, a lazy, self-involved, generally self-medicated man-child to start an entire charity organization," he added. He and his wife created "Hilarity for Charity" which is aimed to educate young people about the disease.
"I came here today for few reasons," he also said. "One, I'm a huge 'House of Cards' fan. ... Two, people need more help. I've personally witnessed the massive amount of financial strain this disease causes." He continued, "The third reason I'm here, simply, is to show people that they're not alone. So few people share their personal stories, so few people have something to relate to, I know that if me and my wife saw somebody like me talking about this, we would feel less alone."
Rogen later took to Twitter to encourage his followers to keep supporting the campaign. "All those empty seats are senators who are not prioritizing Alzheimer's. Unless more noise is made, it won't change," he wrote.
All those empty seats are senators who are not prioritizing Alzheimer's. Unless more noise is made, it won't change. pic.twitter.com/xDW6tlMHmH— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) February 26, 2014
More Seth Rogen News
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kenny Pitted Against Lee in Two-on-One Date
- Calvin Harris Shares Track List of New Album, Teases New Video With Katy Perry and Pharrell
- Report: Chris Brown and Quavo's Feud Is Far From Over
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Gets TV Premiere Date. See New Stunning Poster!
- 'Bachelor in Paradise': DeMario Details Wild Night With Corinne in First Interview Post-Scandal
- Remy Ma 'Ecstatic' After Breaking Nicki Minaj's Winning Streak at BET Awards
- 'Castle Rock' Casts Jane Levy and Sissy Spacek
- Danielle Panabaker and Hayes Robbins Tie the Knot - See the Pic