Arctic Monkeys, HAIM and Lily Allen Among NME Awards Winners
The full winners list of 2014 NME Awards has been unveiled. Arctic Monkeys was the biggest winner as they took home the top prizes in five categories including Best British Band, Best Live Band and Best Fan Community.
They also won the Best Album award for their latest record, "AM". Additionally, the group's singer Alex Turner was named Hero of the Year, edging out David Bowie, late musician Lou Reed and Russian protest group Pussy Riot.
Los Angeles-based band HAIM managed to shine at the U.K. event as well. The group grabbed the Best International Band trophy after beating competitors like Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend. Alana Haim, one of the Haim sisters, then won the Best Band Blog/Twitter title.
Just a few months after ending her lengthy hiatus, Lily Allen was already the best solo artist. The singer has just released several songs, including "Hard Out Here" and "Air Balloon", and is still working on her new album that will be called "Sheezus".
Other winners included Blondie (Godlike Genius), Paul McCartney (Songwriter's Songwriter) and Disclosure (Best Track for "White Noise"). Glastonbury was named Best Festival while Best Small Festival award went to Swn.
Harry Styles won Villain of the Year for two years in a row. His band One Direction, however, was saved from being the worst band again as Manchester quartet The 1975 took the title from the five-piece.
Elsewhere, "Breaking Bad" nabbed the Best TV Show award while "Made of Stone" was named Best Music Film.
- Godlike Genius: Blondie
- Songwriters' Songwriter: Paul McCartney
- Award For Innovation: Damon Albarn
- Teenage Cancer Trust Outstanding Contribution to Music Award: Belle & Sebastian
- Best British Band supported by Windows Phone: Arctic Monkeys
- Best International Band supported by Austin, Texas: HAIM
- Best Solo Artist: Lily Allen
- Best New Band supported by Mossimo: Drenge
- Best Live Band supported by Gig Buddy: Arctic Monkeys
- Best Album supported by PS4 INFAMOUS Second Son: Arctic Monkeys - "AM"
- Best Track supported by Blackstar Amps: Disclosure - "White Noise"
- Best Music Video supported by Domino's: Eagulls - "Nerve Endings"
- Best Festival: Glastonbury
- Best TV Show: "Breaking Bad"
- Best Music Film: "Made of Stone"
- Best Reissue: The Clash - "Sound System"
- Best Band Blog or Twitter: HAIM's Alana Haim
- Best Book: Morrissey - "Autobiography"
- Best Small Festival: Swn
- Best Fan Community: Arctic Monkeys
- Worst Band: The 1975
- Hero of the Year: Alex Turner
- Villain of the Year: Harry Styles
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'