Arctic Monkeys, HAIM and Lily Allen Among NME Awards Winners
The full winners list of 2014 NME Awards has been unveiled. Arctic Monkeys was the biggest winner as they took home the top prizes in five categories including Best British Band, Best Live Band and Best Fan Community.
They also won the Best Album award for their latest record, "AM". Additionally, the group's singer Alex Turner was named Hero of the Year, edging out David Bowie, late musician Lou Reed and Russian protest group Pussy Riot.
Los Angeles-based band HAIM managed to shine at the U.K. event as well. The group grabbed the Best International Band trophy after beating competitors like Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend. Alana Haim, one of the Haim sisters, then won the Best Band Blog/Twitter title.
Just a few months after ending her lengthy hiatus, Lily Allen was already the best solo artist. The singer has just released several songs, including "Hard Out Here" and "Air Balloon", and is still working on her new album that will be called "Sheezus".
Other winners included Blondie (Godlike Genius), Paul McCartney (Songwriter's Songwriter) and Disclosure (Best Track for "White Noise"). Glastonbury was named Best Festival while Best Small Festival award went to Swn.
Harry Styles won Villain of the Year for two years in a row. His band One Direction, however, was saved from being the worst band again as Manchester quartet The 1975 took the title from the five-piece.
Elsewhere, "Breaking Bad" nabbed the Best TV Show award while "Made of Stone" was named Best Music Film.
- Godlike Genius: Blondie
- Songwriters' Songwriter: Paul McCartney
- Award For Innovation: Damon Albarn
- Teenage Cancer Trust Outstanding Contribution to Music Award: Belle & Sebastian
- Best British Band supported by Windows Phone: Arctic Monkeys
- Best International Band supported by Austin, Texas: HAIM
- Best Solo Artist: Lily Allen
- Best New Band supported by Mossimo: Drenge
- Best Live Band supported by Gig Buddy: Arctic Monkeys
- Best Album supported by PS4 INFAMOUS Second Son: Arctic Monkeys - "AM"
- Best Track supported by Blackstar Amps: Disclosure - "White Noise"
- Best Music Video supported by Domino's: Eagulls - "Nerve Endings"
- Best Festival: Glastonbury
- Best TV Show: "Breaking Bad"
- Best Music Film: "Made of Stone"
- Best Reissue: The Clash - "Sound System"
- Best Band Blog or Twitter: HAIM's Alana Haim
- Best Book: Morrissey - "Autobiography"
- Best Small Festival: Swn
- Best Fan Community: Arctic Monkeys
- Worst Band: The 1975
- Hero of the Year: Alex Turner
- Villain of the Year: Harry Styles
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- John Carpenter Shares Brutal Thoughts on 'Halloween' Remake, Slams Rob Zombie
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- Artist of the Week: Lady GaGa
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush