Netflix's Marvel Series to Film in New York, Benefiting From the City's Tax Credits
Four Netflix series based on Marvel's characters will be filmed in New York. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and Disney CEO Bob Iger announced on Wednesday, February 26 a new production deal that will accommodate the production of at least 60 episodes of the new shows.
The Walt Disney Co., the parent company of Marvel Entertainment, will spend $200 million over three years filming the four new shows and is expected to "create at least 3,000 jobs, including 400 full-time jobs." In return, the company will receive $4 million in tax breaks.
"Since 2008 Disney has directly contributed almost half a billion dollars to New York's economy through television and film production, along with approximately 9,000 jobs for New Yorkers," Iger said when announcing the deal in a press conference.
"The Governor's policies make this great state a more affordable and attractive location, opening the door for even greater economic investment and job creation for New Yorkers. Our Marvel series for Netflix will inject millions directly into the local economy and create hundreds of new jobs."
Gov. Cuomo added, "New York is where the entertainment industry started, and this unprecedented commitment from Disney and Marvel is further evidence that we're bringing it back bigger and better than ever before."
Disney and Netflix first announced their plans to make the new Marvel series in 2013. These shows will focus on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage that will culminate in a miniseries titled "The Defenders". The miniseries "reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters."
Filming is set to start this summer. All of the shows will debut on Netflix starting in 2015.
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding
- 'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell Teases the Return of Mystery Character and 'Meaner' Season 5