Former CNN Anchor Miles O'Brien's Arm Was Amputated After Accident
Science journalist Miles O'Brien, who previously worked as correspondent and anchor on CNN, recently experienced an apparent minor accident which resulted in his left arm being amputated above the elbow. O'Brien reveals the story in a blog post, saying that the medical emergency started when he was stacking cases full of equipment after a reporting trip from Japan and the Philippines earlier this month.
At that time, one of the cases accidentally fell on his left forearm. "It hurt, but I wasn't all '911' about it. It was painful and swollen but I figured it would be okay without any medical intervention. Maybe a little bit of denial?" the journalist wrote. The next day, his arm was sore and swollen and the condition seemed worst that night.
The hotel referred him to a doctor in the morning and O'Brien went there right away. According to the doctor, he suffered from Acute Compartment Syndrome which may put his life in danger. The doctor suggested he underwent emergency fasciotomy to relieve the pressure in his arm. However, things got complicated during surgery and his blood pressure dropped, prompting the doctor to make the decision.
"It's been a challenging week dealing with the phantom pain, the vicissitudes of daily life with one hand and the worries about what lies ahead," he continued. "But I am alive and I'm grateful for that."
- First Minute of 'Pretty Little Liars' Season 7B Premiere Lands Online
- Kim Kardashian Reacts to Baby No. 3 Bombshell, Says Surrogacy Is Also an Option
- Find Out Why Kourtney Kardashian Won't Date a Rapper or Athlete Like Her Sisters
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Teaser Is Out, Captain America Will Make a Cameo
- Report: Kim Kardashian Gets in Top Shape to Prepare for Single Life Without Kanye West
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 3 Thins the Herd as Some Singers Are Sent Back Home
- Jared Padalecki and Wife Welcome Baby Girl - See the First Photo
- Scarlett Johansson Talks Dating Again as She Thinks Gordon Ramsay 'Is the Hottest Guy'