Josh Boone to Direct 'The Stand', Ruben Fleischer to Helm 'Overnight'
Josh Boone ("The Fault in Our Stars") is in talks to tackle Warner Bros.' adaptation of Stephen King's novel "The Stand". The Wrap reports he is nearing a deal to write and direct the film after Scott Cooper ("Out of the Furnace") dropped out of the project.
Set during the time when population is wiped out by a deadly virus, the apocalyptic story was once turned into a TV miniseries starring Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, and Rob Lowe. For the big-screen adaptation, Boone reportedly will make a single, R-rated movie that will be faithful to the book.
David Yates was involved in the early development of the movie before he left. Ben Affleck later boarded the project, but he bowed out in favor of Batman role in "Man of Steel 2". Cooper was then tapped, but he also withdrew reportedly due to creative differences.
Elsewhere, Ruben Fleischer ("Gangster Squad") is eyed to helm a family adventure film, "Overnight", for Disney. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the story revolves around a recently divorced father trying to save his relationship with his son and defuse a hostage situation.
The movie was initially developed at Sony before the Mouse House quietly picked it up when it faced roadblock a year ago. Oren Uziel ("22 Jump Street") writes the screenplay which is described as "Home Alone" in an FAO Schwarz-esque toy store. Neal Moritz of the "Fast and Furious" franchise serves as a producer.
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture