Josh Boone to Direct 'The Stand', Ruben Fleischer to Helm 'Overnight'
Josh Boone ("The Fault in Our Stars") is in talks to tackle Warner Bros.' adaptation of Stephen King's novel "The Stand". The Wrap reports he is nearing a deal to write and direct the film after Scott Cooper ("Out of the Furnace") dropped out of the project.
Set during the time when population is wiped out by a deadly virus, the apocalyptic story was once turned into a TV miniseries starring Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, and Rob Lowe. For the big-screen adaptation, Boone reportedly will make a single, R-rated movie that will be faithful to the book.
David Yates was involved in the early development of the movie before he left. Ben Affleck later boarded the project, but he bowed out in favor of Batman role in "Man of Steel 2". Cooper was then tapped, but he also withdrew reportedly due to creative differences.
Elsewhere, Ruben Fleischer ("Gangster Squad") is eyed to helm a family adventure film, "Overnight", for Disney. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the story revolves around a recently divorced father trying to save his relationship with his son and defuse a hostage situation.
The movie was initially developed at Sony before the Mouse House quietly picked it up when it faced roadblock a year ago. Oren Uziel ("22 Jump Street") writes the screenplay which is described as "Home Alone" in an FAO Schwarz-esque toy store. Neal Moritz of the "Fast and Furious" franchise serves as a producer.
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!