Gabrielle Union on Being Raped at 19: 'I Hated Feeling Like a Victim'
Gabrielle Union talked about coping with a horrible experience in the past during an appearance on "The View" on Tuesday, February 25. Stopping by the show in a black dress, the 41-year-old star opened up about being raped at the age of 19.
Union was assaulted at gunpoint when she worked at a shoe store. The attacker also raped another person and robbed the store. When asked about how she coped with the experience, Union said, "I got sick of people letting me off the hook."
"Being a victim is so comfortable. People give you attention, people are nurturing ... When something catastrophic happens in your life, everyone rallies around you. You're getting all the attention and love and support that you always wanted. But it's not for something positive, and I hated that. I hated feeling like a victim. I hated the cloak of victim-hood. I realized they were going to allow me to be a victim, and not succeed and not achieve my goals," she explained.
"It makes you lazy, and I wanted that cloak of victim-hood off. I wanted to embrace being a survivor. That's who I am. I wasn't raised to be coddled. I was raised to be an independent woman, standing on my own two feet, and that's the road I opted to take," Union added.
The "Being Mary Jane" star additionally discussed how her parents' divorce contributed to her preparation to being a stepmother to Dywane Wade's children. "I'm lucky that I come from a family that went through divorce. I'm sure there was bitterness and anger and resentment ... but I don't know, because they never made it our issue. They handled the divorce and our subsequent transition into a blended family with grace and dignity and respect," she explained. "I'm lucky I can just mirror what my parents did, and put the kids first."
More Gabrielle Union News
- Selena Gomez Is Queen of Instagram, Becomes the First Person to Reach 100M Followers
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reportedly Planning a 'Secret Wedding' to Nina Agdal
- Listen to Juicy J's New Single 'Ballin' Feat. Kanye West
- 'Black Panther' Casts 'Person of Interest' Alum Winston Duke as Villainous Man-Ape
- Zayn and Gigi Hadid Get Lovey-Dovey in This Pic as His Mom Asks Him to Dump Her
- Mariah Carey Debuts New Song 'Infamous' for 'Empire' Series
- Keanu Reeves Walks Down Brooklyn Bridge With His New Dog in New 'John Wick 2' Pic
- Here's the Real Reason Rob Kardashian Tweeted Kylie Jenner's Number. Does She Deserve It?