Katy Perry's 'Dark Horse' Video Deemed Blasphemous by Muslim Community
The music video for Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" has drawn ire from the Muslim community. Shazad Iqbal from Bradford, England, has launched an online petition asking YouTube to remove the clip, which was debuted last week.
"This petition is lodged in regards to Katy Perry's music video 'Dark Horse'," Iqbal wrote on change.org. "The video is considered as highly controversial to its viewers as a result of its portrayal of blasphemy."
The video doesn't look harmful at all as it mostly features Perry as a queen who uses her power to turn all her suitors into dust after failing to please her with their gifts. However, Iqbal notices that there's a man wearing a necklace that reads "Allah" who ends up being killed as well.
"At 01:15 into the video Dark Horse; a man is shown being burned, whilst wearing a pendant (also burned) forming the word 'Allah', which is the arabic word for God," he explained. "Such goes to show, that blasphemy is clearly conveyed in the video, since Katy Perry (who appears to be representing an opposition of God) engulfs the believer and the word God in flames."
"We hope that the video itself depicting such images is removed. Such acts are not condoned nor tolerated, we hope YouTube will remove the video," he added. The petition has so far garnered 40,000 signatures.
"Dark Horse", featuring Juicy J, is currently spending its fourth week at No. 1 on Billboard 100. The track appears in Perry's latest album "Prism", which topped Billboard 200 after being released late last year.
More Katy Perry News
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed