2014 Satellite Awards Handed '12 Years a Slave' Top Movie Honor
"12 Years a Slave" continued its streak of victory this awards season with Best Motion Picture nod at the 18th Annual Satellite Awards. The pic's Steve McQueen nabbed Best Director but Lupita Nyong'o lost the Best Supporting Actress category to "Nebraska" star June Squibb.
Cate Blanchett and Jared Leto each won the acting categories for their roles in "Blue Jasmine" and "Dallas Buyers Club" respectively. "American Hustle" won Best Original Screenplay through David O. Russell and Eric Singer, and Best Film Editing.
Over in the television categories, AMC's "Breaking Bad" was named Best Drama while "Orange Is the New Black" took the Best Comedy nod. Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Taylor Schilling, and Laura Prepon won acting prizes.
The Satellite Awards were presented by IPA, which is composed of international journalists. The winners were announced in a gala ceremony on Sunday, February 23.
Winners in Movie and TV:
- Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama - Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"
- Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama - Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Actress in a Supporting Role - June Squibb, "Nebraska"
- Actor in a Supporting Role - Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Motion Picture - "12 Years a Slave"
- Motion Picture, International Film - "The Broken Circle Breakdown"
- Motion Picture, Animated or Mix Media - "The Wind Rises"
- Motion Picture, Documentary - "Blackfish"
- Director - Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave"
- Screenplay, Original - David O. Russell, Eric Singer, "American Hustle"
- Screenplay, Adapted - Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope, "Philomena"
- Original Score - Steven Price, "Gravity"
- Original Song - "Young and Beautiful", "The Great Gatsby"
- Cinematography - Bruno Delbonnel, "Inside Llewyn Davis"
- Visual Effects - Tim Webber, David Shirk, Chris Lawrence, and Neil Corbould, "Gravity"
- Film Editing - Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers, and Alan Baumgarten, "American Hustle"
- Sound (Editing and Mixing) - Glenn Freemantle, Chris Munro, Niv Adiri, Skip Lievsay and Christopher Benstead, "Gravity"
- Art Direction and Production Design - Catherine Martin and Beverly Dunn, "The Great Gatsby"
- Costume Design - Michael O'Connor, "The Invisible Woman"
- Miniseries / Motion Picture Made for Television - "Dancing on the Edge"
- Actress in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television - Elisabeth Moss, "Top of the Lake"
- Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television - Michael Douglas, "Behind the Candelabra"
- Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television - Laura Prepon, "Orange Is the New Black"
- Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television - Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"
- Television Series, Drama - "Breaking Bad"
- Television Series or Miniseries, Genre - "Game of Thrones"
- Actress in a Series, Drama - Robin Wright Penn, "House of Cards"
- Actor in a Series, Drama - Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
- Television Series, Comedy or Musical - "Orange Is the New Black"
- Actress in a Series, Comedy or Musical - Taylor Schilling, "Orange Is the New Black"
- Actor in a Series, Comedy or Musical - John Goodman, "Alpha House"
- Original Short-Format Program - "#JustSaying (#SamoKazem)"
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting
- Rihanna Is Queen of the Universe in 'Sledgehammer' Music Video
- Lady GaGa Responds to Dalai Lama Controversy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, John Boyega Join Academy After OscarsSoWhite Backlash
- Louis Tomlinson Files for Joint Custody of His Son With Briana Jungwirth
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Nick Young Baby Rumor, Reveals She Caught Him Cheating on Camera