Video: Seth Meyers Kicks Off 'Late Night' With a Tribute to Jimmy Fallon
Following Jimmy Fallon's debut on "Tonight Show" last week, Seth Meyers began his new role as "Late Night" host on Monday, February 24. The former "Saturday Night Live" head writer didn't forget to give a shout-out to his predecessor, doing Fallon's "Thank You Notes" in the cold open to thank Fallon.
"Thank you Jimmy Fallon for taking over the 'Tonight Show' at 11:30 so I can take over 'Late Night' at 12:30," he wrote as the band played the soft music. "I promise to treat it with espect and dignity, and only use it to do completely original comedy pieces...starting now."
Meyers welcomed Amy Poehler as his first guest, and she had a not-so-nice reunion with fellow "SNL" alum Fred Armisen, who serves as a leader of Meyers' house band, 8G Band. "It's hard sometimes to be friends after being very turbulent lovers," she jokingly said.
The "Parks and Recreation" star also used the occasion to "wave the white flag" and surrender to master prankster George Clooney. "I want to say something to George Clooney that no woman has ever said to him, and that's, 'George, please stop,' " she added.
Peohler was later joined by Vice President Joe Biden, who is the crush object of her "Parks and Rec" character. When asked about his plans for the 2016 election, Biden coyly said, "I planned on making a major announcement tonight, but I decided tonight's your night, so I'm hoping you'll invite me back." Poehler, meanwhile, cracked a joke, "Oh, I'm going to run for president," when asked about her plans for 2016.
"Thank You Note" Cold Open:
Amy Poehler on "Late Night with Seth Meyers":
Vice President Joe Biden on "Late Night with Seth Meyers":
- Tiny Harris Fake Facebook Stirs Up Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Affair Rumor
- Michael Bay Has Initial Idea for an R-Rated 'Bumblebee' Spin-Off
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Gets Animated in Bizarre Video for 'Sick Love'
- Mariah Carey's New Boyfriend Bryan Tanaka Admits He's 'Always Had a Thing' for Her
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Promises 'Refreshing' 'Celebrity Apprentice' in New Sneak Peek
- 'Last Tango in Paris' Rape Scene Backlash Is 'Ridiculous,' Says Bernardo Bertolucci
- Jimmy Kimmel's Wife Molly McNearney Is Pregnant With Their Second Child
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4