Artist of the Week: Pharrell Williams
After years of producing hits for fellow musicians and being featured in other artists' songs, Pharrell Williams is now focusing on his own project. The Grammy award-winning producer recently announced that his long-awaited new album would finally be released early next month.
Pharrell's second solo studio effort is set to be called "G I R L". The follow-up to 2006's "In My Mind" is scheduled to arrive on March 3. The 40-year-old star shared some details about his upcoming record in an interview with Zane Lowe before performing at the BRIT Awards last Wednesday, February 19.
"The reason why I named it 'G I R L' in capital letters because when you look at it looks a little weird," he explained the album's title. "And the reason why it does is because society is unbalanced; and I just thought if I'm going to make to make an album, I need to make an album that says everything that I wanted to say and dreamt of."
"And women have been so good to me, they've done so much for my family and everything that I've ever gotten was because of a woman. They are like my bosses," he continued.
He also mentioned that the album would explore the inner depth of a women, saying, "I admire women in a lot of ways, but I needed to make sure that everyone knew that. On the surface, I do look and I do like them and I appreciate them in my little dirty ways here and there, but at the core, is what I'm telling you. We need them."
Pharrell has collaborated with some big names like Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, Miley Cyrus and Alicia Keys for "G I R L". The album has so far spawned one single called "Happy", which is also included in the soundtrack of animated movie "Despicable Me 2". The track, which is now sitting at No. 2 on Billboard 100, is currently up for the Best Original Song award at the upcoming Oscars.
More Pharrell Williams News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences