Artist of the Week: Pharrell Williams
After years of producing hits for fellow musicians and being featured in other artists' songs, Pharrell Williams is now focusing on his own project. The Grammy award-winning producer recently announced that his long-awaited new album would finally be released early next month.
Pharrell's second solo studio effort is set to be called "G I R L". The follow-up to 2006's "In My Mind" is scheduled to arrive on March 3. The 40-year-old star shared some details about his upcoming record in an interview with Zane Lowe before performing at the BRIT Awards last Wednesday, February 19.
"The reason why I named it 'G I R L' in capital letters because when you look at it looks a little weird," he explained the album's title. "And the reason why it does is because society is unbalanced; and I just thought if I'm going to make to make an album, I need to make an album that says everything that I wanted to say and dreamt of."
"And women have been so good to me, they've done so much for my family and everything that I've ever gotten was because of a woman. They are like my bosses," he continued.
He also mentioned that the album would explore the inner depth of a women, saying, "I admire women in a lot of ways, but I needed to make sure that everyone knew that. On the surface, I do look and I do like them and I appreciate them in my little dirty ways here and there, but at the core, is what I'm telling you. We need them."
Pharrell has collaborated with some big names like Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, Miley Cyrus and Alicia Keys for "G I R L". The album has so far spawned one single called "Happy", which is also included in the soundtrack of animated movie "Despicable Me 2". The track, which is now sitting at No. 2 on Billboard 100, is currently up for the Best Original Song award at the upcoming Oscars.
More Pharrell Williams News
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs
- Nicole Kidman Says She Was Too Young When She Married Tom Cruise
- Watch Trailer for 30 Seconds to Mars' 'Camp Mars: The Concert Film'
- Britney Spears Sucks Helium and Hilariously Sings a Taylor Swift Hit
- 'Twin Peaks' Debuts Extended Chilling Teaser Featuring Familiar Tune