Adam Levine Talks ADHD Struggle in New PSA for 'Own It'
After receiving backlash in his Proactiv commercials, Adam Levine stars in a new PSA to speak about his struggle with ADHD. The Maroon 5 frontman is taking part in the new "Own It" campaign which will be released on February 24.
"I like to always make sure that whatever I'm promoting or talking about or discussing at length, is something that I have personal, hands on experience with," Levine told Us Weekly. "And this is no different than anything else. This is an issue that's very near and dear to my heart."
The website has previewed the PSA in which the "The Voice" coach said, "When I was first diagnosed with ADHD, it wasn't a surprise because I had difficulty in high school focusing. And I think now, people notice my ADHD as an adult on a daily basis. When I can't pay attention, I really can't pay attention."
He has an advice for those who have the same issue as him. "If somebody approached me and said that anything that I said, helped them figure it out - or someone came to me and said I need help what do you suggest I do - the first thing I would suggest they do is see somebody," he said. "See a doctor about it."
Levine has also spoken for First Act and Proactiv, but his latest stint with the latter withdrew criticism for his choice of using drugs to battle ADHD. According to RumorFix, the commercial is sponsored by Shire, which makes the well known ADHD medication Adderall.
"It's a disturbing trend that has been developing in the mental health community for quite some time, where it's all too easy to over diagnose ADHD and dispense medication as treatment when in fact a much more comprehensive approach is better for patients," Jeff Ball, Ph.D., founder and executive director of PCH Treatment Centers in West LA, said in a statement to RumorFix.
More Adam Levine News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked