Nicki Minaj Sued for Stealing Wig Ideas From Former Hair Stylist
In what was claimed to be the first-ever intellectual property dispute over wigs, Nicki Minaj has been sued by her former hairstylist. Terrence Davidson launched a $30 million federal lawsuit against the rapper, accusing her of stealing his ideas and wigging out on a deal.
The lawsuit, filed on Friday, February 21 in Atlanta stated that Davidson began working for Minaj in January 2010. He started making wigs for her public appearances including the ones she used in the music video of "Super Bass" and at 2010 MTV Video Music Awards pre-show. At that time Minaj was a burgeoning star whose sense of style came as distinguished.
Davidson claimed that he and Minaj's team discussed about a joint business venture that would include selling wigs and a reality show about celebrity wig stylist. However, Minaj and her camp "took active steps to isolate Mr. Davidson and preclude him from the notoriety he deserved for his wig designs" in 2012, the lawsuit said.
Davidson, whose client included Patti LaBelle and Remy Ma, said he later found out that Minaj was selling wigs online. Some of the designs were duplicate of his, he claimed. Davidson told CNN, "I see these wigs online. People are basically duplicating what I created for Nicki Minaj."
His lawyer Christopher Chestnut chimed in, "Nicki Minaj is reaping great success and financial bounty reward for Terrence's creative expertise, and he is entitled to participate in that. Someone's got to stand up for the artist. We applaud the fact that she's making millions, but she's also got to pay bounty to those whose creative designs she's making millions off of."
Chestnut added, "On its face you might think, what this guy is suing over wigs. But we really have to consider this in context. Hair is a multibillion-dollar industry, but moreover these are not your grandma's wigs. These are eclectic. They are decadent, and they are creative. This is about a brand that Terrence has built."
Minaj has not commented on the lawsuit.
More Nicki Minaj News
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes